Latest Project With Thanks To system7

Special thanks to system7 for his help with my latest project. Visaton W200s and Visaton TW70 in a 32 liter BR. He used Boxsim to simulate XO and sent schematic. Sounds great! No measuring capability but I'm liking them. Such a helpful DIY community.

Attachments

• IMG_0196.jpg
    IMG_0196.jpg
    598.4 KB · Views: 515
Well done, my friend! Looks better than mine... :eek:

We were building a WLM La Scala clone! Idea is the Visaton drivers are cheap and easy to model without your measurement, but you end up with a 2,000 Euro loudspeaker! WLM would doubtless give you some old pony that their drivers are specially expensively tweaked.... I doubt it. :D

496002d1438131348-advise-diy-speaker-build-wlm-la-scala-jpg

6moons audio reviews: WLM La Scala

We had some hoops to jump through, because new Boxsim 2.0 doesn't include the TW70 tweeter driver: https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/software-tools/331446-boxsim-2-0-launched-2.html#post6809059

IMO, half the trick is to pick drivers that we know play nicely together. Guaranteed result!

I think we decoded on the circuit below. I am slightly alarmed to find my current effort is third order. But actually models much the same, so I must have known what was doing. I fitted a Monacor HT22/8 tweeter because it fitted my box better. But also works much the same.

Phase might look a bit rubbish to the uninitiated, but is a 90 degree Butterworth style designed to fill the power hole at crossover that more foolish LR4 Phase-aligned designers get.

Attachments

• Tuba WLM Clone FR.JPG
    Tuba WLM Clone FR.JPG
    85.7 KB · Views: 418
  • Tuba WLM Clone Phase Butterworth.JPG
    Tuba WLM Clone Phase Butterworth.JPG
    77.4 KB · Views: 422
  • Tuba WLM Clone Circuit.JPG
    Tuba WLM Clone Circuit.JPG
    26.1 KB · Views: 449
  • system7 current effort Monacor HT22 tweeter.jpg
    system7 current effort Monacor HT22 tweeter.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 486
  • system7 current effort crossover.jpg
    system7 current effort crossover.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 263
  • Steve's Current Effort Circuit.JPG
    Steve's Current Effort Circuit.JPG
    37.8 KB · Views: 266
Reactions: 1 user
Sadly, I didn't take pictures before I closed it up. Outside dimensions are 10" W X 12" D X 24" tall using 3/4" plywood. I'm try to stay away from MDF. I have one brace on all 4 walls about halfway down. Sides, top, bottom are lined with 1/2" felt automotive batting. Port is 2 1/2" X 5". I'm using an 8 ohm resistor for the tweeter adjustment because I don't like bright. It's not soldered in yet in case I change my mind. I used stick on foam strips to seal up drivers. I can't give enough thanks to system7. He spent WAAAAY too much time trying to help me figure out Boxsim and probably got irritated with my ignorance. He is a great guy in this DIY community.

Tweeter 2" from top. Woofer 8" from top. Port 4 1/2" from bottom. Everything is centered on baffle. If you use Monacor HT22/8 things will change because mounting flange is wider and you'll bump into woofer flange I'm guessing. Neither TW70 or HT22 were available in the USA but someone had a pair of TW70 on ebay for a great price. Nothing scientific about driver/port mounting locations other than trying to copy visually the look of the WLM La Scala. I think my tweeter/woofer spacing is even closer than WLM because they added some of cosmetic beauty ring to the TW70

I am touched. Could have been a complete disaster, of course. :eek:

496002d1438131348-advise-diy-speaker-build-wlm-la-scala-jpg

IMO, thimios fretted far too much about the details. I just looked at the Visaton website for those appropriate reflex tube thingies that people worry about. It's all there.

W 200 S - 8 Ohm | Visaton

The Monitor is 22L. The Floorstander is 46L. But do what you fancy, as TubaV did.

Loudspeaker expert Joachim Gerhard investigated the Visaton TW70 tweeter. Bought a job lot. Said it it "Pen and Inks" a bit. Stinks. Terrible quality control. Half his samples were way outside specification. Well, what do you expect for 10 "Sovs" (£10)? :confused:

There was also the matter of whether those happy looking blokes at WLM used the W200S-4? We shall never really know.

I think I have also figured out what is inside the top-secret Super-PAC tweeter thing.

6moons audio reviews: WLM La Scala

More of the same, IMO. Two TW70's at right angles. What else could it be? :D

There was also the matter of whether those happy looking blokes at WLM used the W200S-4? We shall never really know.
I like this project. One thing confuses me though - the review states efficiencies of 91 and 93db respectively for the bookshelf and floorstander versions, and claims that WLM developed the drivers and visaton merely manufactures them.
The drivers you used are rated around 88/89db and the graph above indicates a speaker efficiency of around 86db. Are you confident your clone has much in common with the original beyond size?

No, I don't have original speakers WLM, I took the parameters posted on the site (https://www.visaton.de/en/products/drivers/woofers/w-200-s-4-ohm), and used them in the program Hornresp.
I can't figure out the program Boxsim yet, that's why I'm asking - maybe someone calculated the crossover for Visaton W200s-4 and TW 70-8.

Attachments

• w200s-4-1.png
    w200s-4-1.png
    27.6 KB · Views: 63
  • w200s-4-2.png
    w200s-4-2.png
    29.4 KB · Views: 59
We had a thread about various approaches to WLM La Scala clones including the 4 ohm driver:

https://www.diyaudio.com/community/threads/visaton-w200s-tw70.317015/page-3#post-5983380

I didn't like that circuit much, as it goes. I think this might be better. The projekte file should work with either version of Boxsim, but the new driver files in 2.0 are different in some ways. Different responses and acoustic centres and maybe loudness.

Attachments

• 4 Ohm La Scala.JPG
    4 Ohm La Scala.JPG
    85.8 KB · Views: 136
  • 4 Ohm La Scala Circuit.JPG
    4 Ohm La Scala Circuit.JPG
    17.5 KB · Views: 255
  • WLM zipped Projekte.zip
    22.4 KB · Views: 48
We had a thread about various approaches to WLM La Scala clones including the 4 ohm driver:

https://www.diyaudio.com/community/threads/visaton-w200s-tw70.317015/page-3#post-5983380

I didn't like that circuit much, as it goes. I think this might be better. The projekte file should work with either version of Boxsim, but the new driver files in 2.0 are different in some ways. Different responses and acoustic centres and maybe loudness.
Thank you friend! Happy New Year! I will collect acoustics using your circuit. This will be my second project, the first was tqwp, I listened to it and realized that I wanted something better. Your project is loaded into Boxsim, all that remains is to deal with the program, thanks.

Happy New Year to you too. I was just mulling any possible improvements. I don't much like that little bump in the bass at 3.5kHz. That is breakup, and never sounds good. Also mucks up phase.

You can fix it with a cheapish tank notch at 5kHz. Worth trying. I'd also get an aircoil on the bass, since 0.6mH is quite small. Don't spend silly money on capacitors. They all sound the same to me!

Tell us how you get on.

Attachments

• WLM Tank Notch 5kHz.JPG
    WLM Tank Notch 5kHz.JPG
    75 KB · Views: 152
  • Tank Notch 5kHz.JPG
    Tank Notch 5kHz.JPG
    20 KB · Views: 180
Good day! There is no limit to perfection, the frequency response is looking better and better, thank you for your time. Now, having chosen a project, I will buy speakers and assemble a speaker system, I made the final decision thanks to your help in calculating the crossover. As soon as I rolled up the body and counted it in Hornresp. As the production progresses, I will make small reports.

Attachments

• w200s-4-1.png
    w200s-4-1.png
    29.1 KB · Views: 137
  • w200s-4-2.png
    w200s-4-2.png
    82.9 KB · Views: 153