Lightning damage

Not sure if it's the right forum. I've never dealt with lightning damage, but received a call from a buddy that there was a lightning hit near his house resulting in dead AC unit and some of his precious electronics. His expensive Mcintosh SACD and fairly recent tube amp appear to be dead. Mcintosh tube tuner connected to the same power strip survived , probably because it does not have a ground wire reference. According to him the stuff was turned off but I'm not sure it was turned off by the mains switch or simply on standby.
Maybe he should call his insurance agent first before we pop the hood off the gear? Not sure how those cases are handled.

If the insurance route is the way you go then a call to the insurance company is all that is required.
In my experience of over 55 years, all direct hits are written off and most indirect hits are written off. If they are repaired, they often fail again due to stressed components.
Unless you are an authorised repairer, the insurance company may ask awkward questions.