MarkAudio MAOP11 + SDDBH-T13.5R-AD (Dual Back-loaded Horn adding adjustable Duct, no sound absorber)

MAOP11 + SDDBH / Frequency Response (ON AXIS, 1 meter & Listening Point, 3 meter)

The microphone position for air recording is 0.5 m in front of the listening point.

Attachments

• MAOP11-ON AXIS.jpg
    MAOP11-ON AXIS.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 145
  • MAOP11-Listening point.jpg
    MAOP11-Listening point.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 150
Last edited:
I built a pair maybe a year ago with MAOP 11 and they are excellent sounding speakers in my opinion..
Great bass. Very even and balanced sound. The absence of damping material gives them a lively sound with no unwanted resonances despite the lack of damping material.

You can adjust the damping ducts on the back for your room, I like bass so have them wide open but my room is fairly large. I saw a graph from a Scandinavian (Danish?) poster with an in room response which was excellent which confirms my opinion of a balanced sound.

The Damping ducts were new to me but upon further reading they have been around for decades in Japan and have their proponents and detractors but in this case they are adjustable and they do change the response so you have another way of tailoring the speaker to your room / preferences.

The design looked strange when I first saw them having never seen anything similar which is one of the reasons I built them, so as to experience this unusual (to me) design.

The only "drawback" I can see is they take extra effort and material to build but, myself having built so many horns over the years it is not an issue.

Well worth the effort IMO.

I wonder why Dave thinks it is not a great example to copy and am interested in his perspective on this unusual design.

Andrew

Reactions: 1 user
Nandappe, on your site recommendation for Maop 11 is SDDBH-T15.5 and here is 13.5. Did you use a smaller box for this?

Hi Cindra,

I installed various drivers when testing this box.
In my theory, the internal volume required for the MAOP11 is small, but the bass extension and volume are sufficient.
If you prefer tight bass, you may want to use 13.5 rather than 15.5.

It's interesting to try out various things and get unexpected results. We will also gain some useful know-how.

Hello,
I would gladly put a Dacron type shock absorber in the cavities between 2 and 3 if we remove 4, between 13 and 14 if we remove 15, between 6, 7 and 8 and between 19, 21 and 29.
These would be a kind of "traps" for standing waves
What do you think?

I would gladly put a Dacron type shock absorber in the cavities between 2 and 3 if we remove 4, between 13 and 14 if we remove 15, between 6, 7 and 8 and between 19, 21 and 29.
These would be a kind of "traps" for standing waves
What do you think?

Standing waves are not a concern for this box.
I prefer not to use sound absorbers, but you can try it and make your own choice.