Matching SITs

It's known how to match FETs due to generosity of The One and Only. By the luck I've got some SITs and would of liked have them matched within reason. I can't make or borrow full blown curve tracer but I can plot a curve or two per device. What should I look for?|
TEK0002.png

Joined 2010
Paid Member
If you can plot three or more curves for each device in the area of your intended operating point, you can get an idea of the gain and distortion.

Gain can be calculated from the spacing between the curves along your load line. The wider the spacing, the higher the gain (larger Vds voltage swing for change in Vgs).

Second order harmonic distortion can be calculated from the differences in curve spacing. Amplitude differences between negative and positive Vds changes for constant negative/positive Vgs changes results in the distortion.

Before computers, calculations for triode vacuum tube amplifiers were performed in this manner and there is information on this on the net. For example, https://atrad-audio.co.nz/turneraudio/www.turneraudio.com.au/loadmatch-1-SE-triodes.html

Reactions: 1 user
As you can see the Frankentracer have been used. The question is how to match devices using one or two curves. It there was a pulse mode like one in real measurement equipment you may skip mounting DUT on heatsink. Yet another cumbersome operation is curve(s) "extraction" from the scope using USB flash.
Unless you make an automated system with decent NI controlled devices or DIY "cargo cult style arduino replica" you are out of luck.
P.S. N. Pass matched FETs at one particular point voltage/current. I am curious if such a thing exists for SITs. If nothing works I will try PM him.

Thanks Matthias! There's no escape from a full data aquisition. A grand or two for PSU perhaps too mach but the approach is mor or less correct. I would use resistive load and match large signal gain first and see if that suffice. Instead of mathching the whole surface. The latter may become even more complicated with complex (RLC) load (pun intended) of high order.