Must-Play Tracks to Test Your Hi-Fi System

Hi everyone, I wrote a Medium article titled "Audiophile Essentials: Must-Play Tracks to Test Your Hi-Fi System." It features a list of tracks perfect for testing the quality of your audio setup. Whether you're tuning a new setup or simply wanting to appreciate the nuances of your high-fidelity system, these tracks offer a range of frequencies, dynamics, and complexities that will truly showcase your system's capabilities. Check it out and share your thoughts!

Read it here: https://medium.com/@rasansmn/audiop...tracks-to-test-your-hi-fi-system-1cde41ca756b

Looking forward to your thoughts and recommendations!

Reactions: 1 user
Hi, rasansmn!

I would like to start by saying that I appreciate your effort and respect your good will which appears absolutely genuine, and first of all I would modestly suggest that you replace the first picture of the article because it is clear that it alone contradicts the adjective "Audiophile" that you wanted to use, at least from these parts... :)

Let's be clear, I completely understand and respect that picture represents your efforts and your already mentioned good will, but as everyone knows, "everything is relative"...
I warmly inform you that in these parts that adjective is not always used in a let's say "edifying" manner... ;)

But the fact is - in my friendly opinion - that such an evaluation works (if it works) by comparison and therefore by listening to any track, even a well-recorded one, I doubt that we can get anywhere.
In the sense that, in my humble opinion, if it sounds "good" then we say "it sounds good".
If it sounds "bad" we say "it sounds bad".
And then?
Without a comparison it remains relative, imo.

However, carry on! (y)

Reactions: 1 users
I like the list very much - that's all music I know quite well!
It's very pop/rock heavy, mostly from last century.
No complex orchestral music?
Thank you for your kind words! I'm glad you enjoyed the list. You're right, it's quite pop/rock heavy. I appreciate your suggestion and will definitely consider including some complex orchestral music in future updates. Thanks for the feedback!

Hi, rasansmn!

I would like to start by saying that I appreciate your effort and respect your good will which appears absolutely genuine, and first of all I would modestly suggest that you replace the first picture of the article because it is clear that it alone contradicts the adjective "Audiophile" that you wanted to use, at least from these parts... :)

Let's be clear, I completely understand and respect that picture represents your efforts and your already mentioned good will, but as everyone knows, "everything is relative"...
I warmly inform you that in these parts that adjective is not always used in a let's say "edifying" manner... ;)

But the fact is - in my friendly opinion - that such an evaluation works (if it works) by comparison and therefore by listening to any track, even a well-recorded one, I doubt that we can get anywhere.
In the sense that, in my humble opinion, if it sounds "good" then we say "it sounds good".
If it sounds "bad" we say "it sounds bad".
And then?
Without a comparison it remains relative, imo.

However, carry on! (y)
Hi @ulogon,

Thank you for your thoughtful feedback and kind words about my article. I appreciate you taking the time to share your perspective.

Regarding the image, I chose it to reflect my personal journey and enthusiasm for high-fidelity audio. However, I understand your point about how it may not align with the traditional "Audiophile" image in some regions. I'll consider updating it to better match the expectations and perceptions of the audiophile community.

I also appreciate your insights on the subjectivity of evaluating audio quality. I agree that comparisons can provide a clearer benchmark for what sounds "good" or "bad." Your input is valuable, and I'll keep it in mind for future articles.

Thanks again for your constructive feedback. I look forward to more discussions and learning from experienced audiophiles like yourself.

Regarding the image, I chose it to reflect my personal journey and enthusiasm for high-fidelity audio.
I know this because I saw that you self-built your device in that image. ;)

However, I was sure that you would appreciate my friendly comment also because I've a predilection for that part of the world from which you come and then my intent was one of the best.

But obviously the world is very big and things are different from one area to another.
Not to mention the fact that each of us sees something different than others.
In this regard allow me to tell you a little personal story of which a friend of mine and I were protagonists.

My friend likes to travel and film what he sees while traveling and once went to Antarctica.
When he returned to his home he organized an evening whose aim was to show the (long) film of his holiday to as many people as possible.
We all sat down and watched what turned out to be a boring video featuring only many penguins and little else.
However, everyone said it was nice/beautiful.
I refrained from giving my opinion on the matter.
After a couple of weeks we met again and he asked me what I thought of his film.
I kindly replied that in my humble opinion his film was boring and I had already seen it dozens of times on TV the same penguins.
He didn't answer anything, also because he is a smart and sensitive person, in my opinion.
After a couple of days he called me to say thank you.

And we both knew why.

An interesting list, am familiar with most.

I think anyone's list of 'test tracks' should mostly include tracks that they love and listen to over again, regardless of recording quality. Much of our collection is 50s and 60s jazz and classical, 60s and 70s pop and rock and possibly half is less than well recorded or mixed, so I'd want to hear how that sounds.

The test tracks should also be music that you at least like, so you're not waiting for the track(s) to end; for example, there's possibly little point in including the Bach Chaconne for violin in a playlist for a someone who only likes heavy metal.

Geoff

Another way to look at it is to use some recordings which you know have some issues; my pet hate is the Red Hot Chilli Peppers 'Californication',, a harsh, grating sound with excessive compression etc. If that sounds good, you know the speakers are going to sound dull with everything else. Or, take 'Give Me Love' by George Harrison, which at least on CD, has a rather dull and flat sound; so if that sounds good, maybe the speakers are going to make other music sound too bright.

Geoff

music soothes the savage beast
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi everyone, I wrote a Medium article titled "Audiophile Essentials: Must-Play Tracks to Test Your Hi-Fi System." It features a list of tracks perfect for testing the quality of your audio setup. Whether you're tuning a new setup or simply wanting to appreciate the nuances of your high-fidelity system, these tracks offer a range of frequencies, dynamics, and complexities that will truly showcase your system's capabilities. Check it out and share your thoughts!

Read it here: https://medium.com/@rasansmn/audiop...tracks-to-test-your-hi-fi-system-1cde41ca756b

For people listening to choral music, or blue grass, its rather narrow selection. Why you hate classical music? What did Bach or Mozart or Handel or Telemann or others do to you?

Even if someone really dislikes classical or other genres of music, there are still some works which can bring out things in equipment.

If the speakers/receiver can cope with the dynamic range of, for example, the Dies Irae from Verdi's Requiem without distortion, you know they're doing a good job. In a similar vein, a good recording of Holst's "Planets" will bring out any issues with the quality of brass and string reproduction. Or, take the drum sound from Dave Brubeck's "Take Five", which should sound as if they're in the room with you.

That said, there are some kinds of music and some artists which I really, really don't like and wouldn't bother including samples on my test playlist. I'd be too busy thinking 'when is this rubbish going to end'. No-one likes all kinds of music!

Geoff

Hi, rasansmn,

As @stv was the first to notice that, there are no classical pieces in your list and therefore the following is my list of albums (not tracks) of classical music that I've "mentally" selected over time for one reason or another by addressing them to a careful listening to my system.

The quality of the recordings is not the only priority characteristic otherwise in my opinion it becomes a kind of self-inflicted torture, but the priority characteristic is the artistic quality of that music together with the technical quality.

Each album (because in my opinion it is absurd to choose only one track from a classical music album and however for that there are the 2 Telarc collections :rolleyes: ) has its own quite marked technical characteristics, but then it will be up to you to make a selection first and then discover them. ;)

Bach, The Well-Tempered Clavier (Jarrett)
Beethoven, Symphonie 5 and 6 (von Karajan)
Beethoven, Symphonie 9 (von Karajan)
Bizet - Grieg, Carmen - Peer Gynt (Slatkin)
Bruch, Violin Concerto (Cho-Liang Lin)
Elgar, Pomp and Circumstance Marches (Solti)
Gershwin, Rhapsody In Blue - An American In Paris (Kunzel)
Handel, Messiah - Arias and Choruses (Pinnock)
Leoncavallo, Pagliacci (Domingo - Pretre)
Orff, Carmina Burana (Shaw)
Paganini, Violin Concerto No 1 (Ughi)
Puccini, Turandot (Mehta)
Rossini, 7 Overtures (Chailly)
Rossini, Il Barbiere di Siviglia - Highlights (Marriner)
Scarlatti, Sonatas (Pinnock)
Stravinsky, L'Oiseau De Feu (Davis)
Telarc, Sampler Vol 1 (1984)
Telarc, Sampler Vol 2 (1984)
Verdi, La Traviata (Kleiber)
Vivaldi, 6 Flute Concertos Op 10 (Pinnock)
Vivaldi, Le Quattro Stagioni (Pinnock)

Just out curiosity, in order to test the low range, and not only, of a system reproducing an analogue instrument I can suggest between all other possible choices the following piece, which is also a valuable artistic content:

J. S. Bach - Toccata & Fugue in D Minor - Michael Murray
The Organs of Los Angeles First Congregational Church, 1983 (Telarc)

Be careful not to play it too loudly because what is recorded coming from that Organs is indescribable, and even dangerous if you don't know what you are playing... :)

Bach, The Well-Tempered Clavier (Jarrett)
Beethoven, Symphonie 5 and 6 (von Karajan)
Beethoven, Symphonie 9 (von Karajan)
Bizet - Grieg, Carmen - Peer Gynt (Slatkin)
Bruch, Violin Concerto (Cho-Liang Lin)
Elgar, Pomp and Circumstance Marches (Solti)
Gershwin, Rhapsody In Blue - An American In Paris (Kunzel)
Handel, Messiah - Arias and Choruses (Pinnock)
Leoncavallo, Pagliacci (Domingo - Pretre)
Orff, Carmina Burana (Shaw)
Paganini, Violin Concerto No 1 (Ughi)
Puccini, Turandot (Mehta)
Rossini, 7 Overtures (Chailly)
Rossini, Il Barbiere di Siviglia - Highlights (Marriner)
Scarlatti, Sonatas (Pinnock)
Stravinsky, L'Oiseau De Feu (Davis)
Verdi, La Traviata (Kleiber)
Vivaldi, 6 Flute Concertos Op 10 (Pinnock)
Vivaldi, Le Quattro Stagioni (Pinnock)
Just added the record label otherwise the list above makes little sense. ;)

Bach, The Well-Tempered Clavier (Jarrett) - ECM
Beethoven, Symphonie 5 and 6 (von Karajan) - Deutsche Grammophon
Beethoven, Symphonie 9 (von Karajan) - Deutsche Grammophon
Bizet - Grieg, Carmen - Peer Gynt (Slatkin) - Telarc
Bruch, Violin Concerto (Cho-Liang Lin) - CBS
Elgar, Pomp and Circumstance Marches (Solti) - Decca
Gershwin, Rhapsody In Blue - An American In Paris (Kunzel) - Telarc
Handel, Messiah - Arias and Choruses (Pinnock) - Archiv
Leoncavallo, Pagliacci (Domingo - Pretre) - Philips
Orff, Carmina Burana (Shaw) - Telarc
Paganini, Violin Concerto No 1 (Ughi) - RCA
Puccini, Turandot (Mehta) - Decca
Rossini, 7 Overtures (Chailly) - Decca
Rossini, Il Barbiere di Siviglia - Highlights (Marriner) - Philips
Scarlatti, Sonatas (Pinnock) - Archiv
Stravinsky, L'Oiseau De Feu (Davis) - Philips
Verdi, La Traviata (Kleiber) - Deutsche Grammophon
Vivaldi, 6 Flute Concertos Op 10 (Pinnock) - Archiv
Vivaldi, Le Quattro Stagioni (Pinnock) - Archiv

For people listening to choral music, or blue grass, its rather narrow selection. Why you hate classical music? What did Bach or Mozart or Handel or Telemann or others do to you?
Thanks for your feedback, @adason The goal of my list was to provide tracks that test a range of audio characteristics rather than covering every genre. I appreciate your suggestion, though. Including some choral or bluegrass music could definitely add depth to the testing experience. I'll keep that in mind for future updates!

Thanks for your detailed response, @ulogon. :) I appreciate your list of classical albums and the thought you’ve put into selecting them. My original goal was to create a list that tests a range of audio characteristics rather than covering all genres. However, I agree that classical music offers unique qualities that are essential for a thorough test. I'll definitely consider adding some of your suggestions to enhance the list. Thanks again for your valuable input!