Need a custom build, any suggestions?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I purchased the CM-i5 condenser audio headset from Point Source Audio through B&H Photo Video recently. I received the audio headset earlier this week. I was very excited to use it as a camera operator. I knew a headset like this would relieve the pain and headaches from traditional headsets.

I was informed from an EIC that I work with regularly that our cameras do provide power through the 5-pin intercom connection on the cameras we use.

Sadly, when I attached the CM-i5 condenser audio headset to the camera I can only hear audio through the headset, but could not utilize the condenser microphone (which requires phantom power).

After further research by myself and the engineer, the cameras can provide phantom power, but the camera as well as the CCU itself would have to be opened up and manipulated.

This proves to be problematic because I would have to request any camera I could potentially use as well as the CCU to be corrected for my headset at any venue that does not already provide phantom power to the intercom system on the cameras. This is way more of a headache than I feel like requesting on my behalf (I use many different cameras that are constantly being used on various CCU's as different setups are utilized for different shows across different venues).

I would prefer to return the CM-i5 condenser audio headset and get the CM-i3 dynamic audio headset instead as this would be the easiest solution. I could not return the item to B&H. I am trying to find a 5-pin inline phantom power supply that I could just plug and play with. This is where I am coming up empty. They make 3-pin inline power supplies, they make 3-pin battery powered power supplies that would be more bulky than I am looking for. I can not find anything that is 5-pin. I would love a simple 5-pin male to 5-pin female barrel that I can slide a battery into to power the dynamic microphone in my headset. It would be lightweight and not put any extra strain on the camera or headset cable.

Does anything like this exist? I can not find one. Would something like this work for what I need? I'd be happy to change batteries as needed on a setup like this if it would work.

At the very least, can someone suggest a way to provide phantom power to the headset that would work as well as not break the bank? I'm finding 3-pin phantom power supplies, but cannot find a 5-pin. I'm willing to pay for a piece to be fabricated if need be if I could be guaranteed that it would work. I would prefer to not add bulk to the CM-i5 condenser audio headset system by weighing it down with a phantom power supply unit that is large or requires to be plugged in.

I would really appreciate some direction in this matter.

tl;dr I bought the CM-i5 condenser audio headset after an EIC informed me it would work. It didn't. I am now out $500+ for a piece of equipment I can't use or return. I am looking for any way to resolve the issue.

Thank you in advance for any help you can give!

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I know the problem. I sometimes run camera, or amp on the switcher end. Having your own headset is a wonderful thing.

Kinda surprising that the mic isn't powering up. AFAIK all modern com sets use condenser mics that need power. Have you tried plugging it in to a regular belt pack or the base station? I've never had any problem swapping headsets of several brands, ClearCom. Telex, RTS between different brands of belt packs or cameras.

The 5 pin XLR on the bacl of Sony cameras is made for a mic and stereo headsets, IIRC. We generally use a 5 pin to 4 pin adapter and run either a single muff headset or mono double muff. You'd need a adapter like that to plug into most belt packs if your headset is 5 pin.

If all that doesn't work, I have seen some circuits online that will supply a headset mic with power - usually 5v - when the icom can't supply it. That will take some searching. Can you find the pinout diagram for your CM-i5?

I can get the wire out diagram from them, they told me they could get it to me if I decided to do a custom build. We discussed the possibility of buying a 3-pin inline phantom power supply and trading parts with a 5-pin turnaround. This may work...
I mostly use Hitachi SK-HD1000's and Hitachi SK-HD1300's. The 1300 model manual shows an internal switch that must be activated to send phantom power. The 1000 model manual has no reference to phantom power at all (maybe it is auto-sensing?). I will try the headset out on the 1000 on Wednesday. But I don't get the choice of what model I get, so it will always be luck of the draw if it works on one, but not the other.
I am also very surprised the headset didn't work, as I would imagine the one's in the camera kits would also be condenser mics requiring power. Could it be the the pins are wired differently from one brand to another? This could be an easy fix, just rewire the CM-i5 to match that of the Sony, or whatever brand, we have in all of the camera kits.
Customer service at Point Source also suggested the potential to send them the headset and have them replace the condenser mic with their dynamic mic. Problem with that is, I would have to pay for shipping and the replacement parts/labor for a lower end product. I would essentially be greatly overpaying for their lower end product.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
OK, thanks. I don't ever use Hitachi cameras, so wasn't thinking of that. I found the Sony pinout, not sure if that does you any good. No mention of power on the mic pins, but I do remember setting in the CCU to do that. Certainly not practical - as you mentioned.

I can see putting a battery adapter inline. It would not have to be big. Just ask CM what voltage you need. A 3V battery ought to be enough.
EDIT: You basically just need a battery, a switch and a DC blocking capacitor.

Attachments

• Sony Pinout.png
    Sony Pinout.png
    89.9 KB · Views: 427
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.