New Guy Looking for advice on first non - kit build F5 vs F6

I've built a number of kits ranging from your ACA kit to a couple Transcendent Audio kits ie Masterpiece 300B Preamplifier and Son of the Beast and a few Heathkits when I was a teen in the 70's. I'm looking for some advice on which amplifier the F5 or F6 would be a good match with the 300b Masterpiece Preamp that I love? The Masterpiece has all the warmth and lush mid-range I need so I'd want the to build the one that is more detailed and precise of the two. I'm currently using an early B&K ST140 that I recently rebuilt and modified. It's not the best match for the Masterpiece Preamp. The ACA is better but not enough power. I'm using that in a small bedroom system with a pair of small 92 db efficient speakers and I love the sound. Can't seem to find any subjective comparisons of the F5 vs F6 to make a decision. Any input on which would be a better match?

If you like the sound of the ACA, then the Aleph Jzm might be something to consider.

I have had the F5m in my system for a few weeks, and I am in no hurry to replace it with the ZD25 mini which is still under construction. The F5m is remarkably clean and detailed and could let a nice tube pre shine through.

If you like the sound of the ACA, then the Aleph Jzm might be something to consider.

I have had the F5m in my system for a few weeks, and I am in no hurry to replace it with the ZD25 mini which is still under construction. The F5m is remarkably clean and detailed and could let a nice tube pre shine through.
I read Nelson's paper on the F5M and it say's it has more 2nd order harmonic distortion than the original F5 and that's what I'm trying to keep to a minimum because of my Preamp. After spending a long time searching for some comparisons F5 vs F6 I'm gonna go with the original F5. It took me a while to unpack the reviews on 6Moons lol. His use of hyperbole and adjectives I had to actually look up was a bit frustrating to say the least but what I needed to know about the differences between the two amps was in the reviews. Anyway thanks for your reply. I'm building some open baffles that are 99db sensitivity so 25 or 30 watts should do the trick. I'm sure I'll have questions since I've only built well documented kits. This is my first scratch built amp so I'm glad this forum exists when I have questions and need help.

Reactions: 1 user
I haven’t built the original F5, just the F5m and a couple versions of the F6. I used different types of higher transconductance devices for the output FETs in both. This makes it difficult for me to give accurate comparisons of by-the-book versions of these amps.

The F6 has a special sound that is markedly affected by the signal transformer in its front end. This might partially obscure the character of an upstream preamp. (It sounds wonderful with my Naim NAC 82 + dual HiCap DR.)

The standard F5 may indeed be a good match for a 300B preamp. If anything it is said to have a slightly H3 character instead of H2.