OB questions

I'm thinking of building a speaker with this design, (2 x 15" + 8") but maybe with a coax instead of a widebander.
Also the bass could probably be like in the XSD design? 8 x 6,5" in a SLOB.
What would be the pros and cons bass wise? The SLOB has an advantage of force cancellation? Other differences? Is there a difference in dispersion around the crossover point (400 Hz?) with these two bass setups?

I said I probably would use a coax, but has anyone heard the actual Tang Band? If it (or any other widebander) has "good enough" tweeter response, I could use my 4 channel miniDSP Flex. Otherwise, I have to swap it for the 8 channel version.

Last edited:
15Zoll-Bässe
8Zoll Breitbänder

Zoll=inch

I should quit using inches too! It sounds strange
What about 2 X 38 cm (sub) woofers and a 20 cm nominal diameter wideband speaker?
You wanna ruin the magic of a wideband? Put a coaxial instead! Ha ha jocking

Those are probably custom made woofers. You can commit a low Q big membrane enough stroke.
Probably 100 € each !! ah ah I dunno !? Those (hifi akademie) speakers are 6000 €
You make 100...x 100. Then 50 TB WBanders (100€ again each)
A bunch of components ( slot must be some LP facility....) for crossover....maybe not

A small clarification, I'm not building that actual speaker. I want to build a speaker that have the same "look". It has a design that visually appears smaller than it actually is. Higher WAF. ; )

dp_01.jpg

What if you attach it on the ceiling? Why not ? what happens otherwise ( given that the tweeter or the unit designed to emit the treble has the same dispersion ) ?
Does the floor create a sub ambient ( bass is foundation!) that permits the waves to propagate better ? Why the ceiling doesn't have that attribute ? Gravity?
Those are my questions when watching such manufact, which BTW are old...A Space Odissey is 1968!

2x15 will have Sd around 1700cm2.
8x6.5 will have Sd around 1100cm2

I’d go with the 2x15 for the extra surface area.

A slob design will give you some amount of boost in low frequency sensitivity, which can be helpful. But it does act like a short transmission line/resonant chamber, which can affect frequency response. Personally, I prefer direct/front radiating drivers on a flat baffle. Either design can work.

The SLOB has an advantage of force cancellation?
I would think that's quite a gain for whatever tradeoff. Cabinet vibration or in the case of an OB, panel vibration. Plus all that mass and stiffness of the SLOB structure, that's supporting the front facing panel.
It has a design that visually appears smaller than it actually is. Higher WAF. ; )
Ah, hide all those woofers in the back! Nice looking speaker.