Pros and cons Pioneer PD-8500 and Marantz CD-54

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
To avoid over inflated opinions and coming to help on buy for others and myself out of curiosity I am first presenting my case and going down to an personal opinion.

Out of CD Players first CD Players that were better were the Pioneer PD-8700 very warm and most lovely open to sound stage and one small Philipscan not remember but still sounding detailed forward but not so large to life.
also had a sony CDP-XB920QS that was precise, not so forward all sounds almost on one shelve but too bright.

Now I have Pioneer PD-8500 that I knew since bought new in 1993 than passed to another friend both tidy users with high regards of using the tech and than me being the 3rd owner of the CDP.

Now the hard part comes:

A friend of mine bought a Marantz CD-54 all ok nice looking Bladerunner stuff tech that you would expect to see in the pelicula. the owner presented it as the best CD Player that most but not even a 3000usd CDP would step over with fancy dacs and electronics.

As well when the guy saw my CDP Pioneer PD-8500 Reference 2 x PCM63P-J 8kg sayd it is mostly a piece of Chinese not upto the nose or nearly of the CD-54.

I can not belive such a thing until now having at hand and tested over 50CDP.

Not raise a plaque on both components I am asking could one of these be more in your blood or should the pioneer be put in the book of electronic components history as in his own words a flimsy piece of electronic product.

I have put head to head the Pioneer with Sony CDP-101 and the Pioneer smashed it. music with passages as glass that brocke made you feel the broken glass around you and music impressions and instrumentation came directly to you to feel it as a fisycal thing all being clear image an product.

The Sony sounded rounded and a little bit muffled.

The marantz did not get in my set for comparison but now again Pioneer against Marantz what race and speccies are they?

Pioneer PD-8500

Specifications
Disc format: CD

Digital converter: 2 x PCM63P-J

CD Mechanism: PWY1011

Frequency response: 2Hz to 20kHz

Dynamic range: 98dB

Signal to Noise Ratio: 112dB

Channel separation: 108dB

Total harmonic distortion: 0.0019%

Line output: 2V

Digital outputs: coaxial, optical

Dimensions: 420 x 326 x 132mm

Weight: 8kg

Marantz CD-54

Specifications
Disc format: CD

Digital converter: TDA1540D, 14-bit linear

CD Mechanism: CDM-1

Frequency response: 3Hz to 20kHz

Dynamic range: 90dB

Signal to Noise Ratio: 90dB

Total harmonic distortion: 0.003%

Line output: 2V

Dimensions: 320 x 90 x 291mm

Weight: 6.5kg

Year: 1984

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.