Question about 12 volt switching supply

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This concerns the typical inexpensive switching supplies you can find on Amazon and other places.

They typically have two +12 volt outputs and two -12 volt outputs on a terminal strip. Are the two + and - outputs the same or are they completely separate output circuits?

If I were to use both 12 volt outputs to power different parts of a circuit, could I tie both negative outputs to the same common ground without something blowing?

This concerns the typical inexpensive switching supplies you can find on Amazon and other places.

They typically have two +12 volt outputs and two -12 volt outputs on a terminal strip. Are the two + and - outputs the same or are they completely separate output circuits?

If I were to use both 12 volt outputs to power different parts of a circuit, could I tie both negative outputs to the same common ground without something blowing?

Could you please show us an example of such a power supply? At least I find supplies with two +12V and two -12V outputs rare. I may misunderstand but I better study an example.

Could you please show us an example of such a power supply? At least I find supplies with two +12V and two -12V outputs rare. I may misunderstand but I better study an example.

There are two +12 and two -12 connections. Perhaps this makes my question more clear. There are millions of these cheap power supplies for sale.

Attachments

• power supply.png
    power supply.png
    437.9 KB · Views: 86
Many thanks, Mark.
The "+" and "-" markings are like on a battery: one is "+" compared to the other terminal and the other is "-" compared to the first terminal. In fact, it is a single 12V supply with two terminals per potential because the current you can draw is high (10A).
I am not fully sure what you mean with "could I tie both negative outputs to the same common ground without something blowing?" because the two "-" terminals are already connected as the two "+" terminals are connected.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.