Question on RCA signal splitter

Hey guys I'm wondering if there's a way I can make a passive RCA signal splitter in an enclosure. Do you just solder the wires in parallel or should there be some resistors or capacitors in there? I'm wondering because sometimes when I use a Y splitter to split the audio out from my TV to go to 2 different amplifiers weird things happen. I plug the first amp in but when plugging in the 2nd amp it causes the first one to loose signal. I'm guessing it has something to do with impedance mismatch or somewhere the signals are being shorted? Maybe the best thing to do is get an active splitter that uses opamps to isolate the signals and give the proper output impedance?

The amplifier with the lower input impedance will shunt the output signal giving the other with smaller signal. What you must to do is to add two resistances to separate both inputs. What value? Well, to find them you need to:

Wire a pot temporarily of, say, 50K with both ends to each amplifier, and the input to the wiper. Ground input and outputs toguether. Use the same audio source and both amplifiers toguether and rotate the pot until you find desired balance.

Replace the pot with fixed resistances of value requiered measuring pot from wiper to both ends.

What do you mean by ground inputs and outputs together? Do I take the left and right signal from the source(TV) and solder each wire to the wiper of a stereo pot then from the output of the pot to each amplifier? Left to one amp and right to the other? The signal return wires go to the 3rd pin of the pot then to the amps?

When you say ground inputs and outputs together did you mean just to connect them to the pot and amps all tied together?

Something like this.

Attachments

• 17189135219847572661233486536459.jpg
    17189135219847572661233486536459.jpg
    169.7 KB · Views: 9
Thank you I understand now. So the idea is to turn the pot until I can get both amps accepting the signal and playing? Then measure what ohms the pot is set at and that will be my R value to make a passive splitter? The amps have a 50k volume pot built in but I'm pretty sure they're after a RC network so they shouldn't matter right?