Restoring Philips CD-460 (Laser CDM-2)

Hi Folks. I bought Philips CD-460 off German ebay. Reason is, I had 30 years ago (Czechoslovak) Tesla MC-911 (License Philips) which by the looks was Philips CD-460. Difference is that Tesla MC-911 used TDA1543, whereas CD-460 uses TDA1541, as did Tesla MC-902 btw..

So after power on nothing happened.. After cca 5 attempts suddenly display lit, and showed Err. Could not open door, was loud..

I cleaned everything, put some PTFE grease on plastic parts. Now it is mechanically perfect, very quiet.
I recapped all blue axial Vishay capacitors on decoder board. I recapped big Philips 6800uF/16 which was totally dead. I replaced one blue axial on CDM board with Nichicon 47u. (Original was 33u)

Service mode without disc shows 0 and lens are moving up and down, I can see red laser light.. With a disc, service mode advances automatically to 1, manually can go to 2,3 with buttons. Spindle rotates.

Voltages on connector 42 to servo were (IIRC) +12, +5.3, 0, -6.1, -13.4V

Still can not read CDs, display shows Err. That's how far I am now. Any Ideas?

Last edited:
According to internet any factory pressed cd should give you some basic understanding of the laser capabilities - i.e. do not use burnt cd-roms.
Regarding scope bandwidth - what does the SM say about us per division?
Yes, you should be able to measure it inside the player provided you can access the test point with scope probe.

1000009328.jpg

This is max I can see with my "scope" on test point 65 (pin 25 of SAA7210P if I am correct).

I played further with service mode. In modes 0-2 the arm swings fully when pressing >> or <<. In mode 3 it looks like it is "playing" and arm swings only by 64 tracks (very little) when using forward/rewind buttons shortly.

Does it mean it can focus on CD?

I am going to look out for a real dual channel scope as I can make no progress anymore.

What is the amplitude of the signal?

And how does it behave now when you insert a CD (and what do you see on the scope during these seconds when it starts to read TOC).?

I am currently testing an older player that reads some burnt cd-roms and does not read others. So far I have noticed that when signal amplitude is 1,2V and more (on scope) then the disk TOC gets read. If it is below 1,2V (e.g. 1,1V) then I get No Disk form the player. Signal image is similar in both cases so it seems to have to do with the later signal processing logic in the controller chip.
Factory CD gives 1,4V, service manual sets 1,7V as target.

Last edited:
New oscilloscope is finally here.
Amplitude 1.5VPP, frequency cca 400kHz
In test mode 1-2 I can not see any relevant signal. In mode this signal is visible. It looks like this practically immediately after switching to mode 3

Attachments

• cd460-test point 65.jpg
    cd460-test point 65.jpg
    350.6 KB · Views: 10
If it is below 1,2V (e.g. 1,1V) then I get No Disk form the player. Signal image is similar in both cases so it seems to have to do with the later signal processing logic in the controller chip.
Factory CD gives 1,4V, service manual sets 1,7V as target.
Probably dumb question. Which one is controller chip? Did cleaning the lens every really help? I might try that.

I attached monitor to audio out (finally). Started CD in service mode and to my pleasure after switching to mode 3 I could IMMEDIATELY hear sound. Actually it started to play from cca 2m of the disc, well into first song. That corresponds with my observations of RF Eye pattern. It was always immediate.
Similar to this player:
https://www.bramjacobse.nl/wordpress/?p=12959
But I can not find any obvious reason. I lubricated the swing arm bearings and cleaned optics a bit when I was already inspecting insides. Made no change.
So good news is I know the CD player can play CDs from 2min onwards. Bad news is I can not make it read TOC.