Sansui transformer

Sansui transformer C1590XX D521, trying to find a like replacement ?
Power requirements: 120/220/240V
8 wire leads on both sides of single unit with two coils
Original stock number: 15010402

Attachments

• tranformer1.jpg
    tranformer1.jpg
    337.3 KB · Views: 27
  • transformer2.jpg
    transformer2.jpg
    322.8 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
Check the service manual for the unit that the transformer came from.
From the schematic you can get the winding configuration and usually the secondary voltages.
Then you can shop for a substitute from the electronic distributors, such as Digikey, Mouser, Newark etc.
Otherwise you will need to find an exact replacement by part number from eBay, etc., or simply buy another entire used unit for parts.

Reactions: 1 users
Transformers are not a common failure item, so even the OEM may not stock them. And if they do the price can be crazy.
Recently I needed a small (6VA) power transformer for an active crossover unit, because the original got fried when someone plugged it into 220V.
It was a current product so I contacted the OEM. They quoted about $80 total for the part, shipping, and tax, with a three month lead time.
This was more than half the retail cost of the entire crossover unit, so it wasn't worth it.
Found a suitable replacement from Digikey for $12 + shipping.

Reactions: 1 users
If it has STK outputs / intermediate amps, quite possible transformer is gone.
Rewinding is possible in India, many shops in my city, a facility which is difficult in your area.
Work out the specification, a few volts here and there are okay on the secondary side, and find a ready unit from China or similar.

And one more thing:
The same outputs were used by other Japanese makers, with similar specifications, so you may find a suitable unit intended for Sony / Pioneer / Kenwood and others, or maybe a set from which those can be salvaged, not necessary that a Sansui unit is the only one that will work.
You may have to do some mounting hole changes, but it is a practical solution.
As usual, no ties to any companies named above.

Reactions: 1 user
It looks small, so what is the unit it came out of?
Pre - amp / equalizer / cassette player?

Actually, those are mostly two secondary voltages, and you do not need 220V, so a 110V primary with those same secondary voltages should be easier to obtain than a specific Sansui part.

I would check the unit thoroughly and find and find what caused the transformer to fail before ordering a new transformer, a short circuit down the line will damage the new unit as well, and the total cost of repair must be considered.