Single Driver Front/Back Horn

Operly Intelligence III Horn Speakers​

https://www.stereonet.com/uk/news/operly-intelligence-iii-horn-speakers-now-available

operly_milan_wide__large_full-3.jpg
operly_close__large_full.jpg

67Kg/speaker 572 x L 590 x 800mm (WxHxD) vaccume formed 15mm high quality fiberglass monocoque body

You don't want to know what they cost!

@planet10 @Scottmoose @nandappe etc How about a few Front/Back DIY designs?

Right now I'm looking at that and seeing multiple areas of the design that I'd have reservations about. ;)

I don't generally do compound horns because they're simply a tool like any other, and I try to avoid the situation where they become necessary. Compound horns* are usually employed when you have a driver that has an excessively high mass-corner frequency, even when used with a sympathetic amplifier output impedance, to allow you to use a bass horn without either having a hole in the response or excessive GD due to an excessively high acoustic low pass frequency. Thay can also be useful to help balance out a rocketing HF response characteristic, providing they're matched to a sufficiently high-gain bass horn load. I'm not knocking them as they're a perfectly valid solution, but ideally, I'd rather not get into that / those scenarios in the first place. Will take another gander though.

* Designs like the various VOTT loads are a different scenario, with a reflex LF mated to a large low-mid horn.

• Thank You
Reactions: 1 users
41.5 Hz at 100 dB/W sensitivity? I Don't Think So. I'd believe 70 Hz, not much lower. Plus the "front horn" is more like a waveguide effective from maybe 500 Hz to 2-3 kHz, above which the speaker's directivity becomes narrower than the waveguide's included angle.

Reactions: 1 users

Operly Intelligence III Horn Speakers​

https://www.stereonet.com/uk/news/operly-intelligence-iii-horn-speakers-now-available

View attachment 1193369 View attachment 1193370

67Kg/speaker 572 x L 590 x 800mm (WxHxD) vaccume formed 15mm high quality fiberglass monocoque body

You don't want to know what they cost!

@planet10 @Scottmoose @nandappe etc How about a few Front/Back DIY designs?
God you have to laugh at the wanna be Hi End manufactures the terminology they use proves their idiots. Monocoque body is something we are used to exotic car makers like Ferrari & Lamborghini saying to describe something factual in the automotive industry. Monocoque is just a fancy french word basically describing how the chassis & body together create rigidity. This term being used now by this speaker manufacture is hilarious and insulting at the same time. Lets be honest this speaker looks cheap why? because fiberglass is cheap. You can use whatever exotic words you want to describe these and it's not going to change the fact they are extremely ugly and extremely cheap looking. $450.00 would be way to much to pay for 8" full range in one of the worlds ugliest horns. The first pic the 8" look like visaton bg 200 the second pic the full range look like a Chinese brand sold on Aliexpress. I am sorry for sounding pissed but this is whats wrong with the world people making a product that is truly cheap and truly under performing and then trying to use exotic words to make people think they are special and then asking $45.000 to be honest this is immoral and should be illegal. I feel sorry for anyone with a low enough IQ to actually buy these no wonder the entire world is going down the toilet !!!!!

That or listening while in the shower (seriously).

Come to think of it, I suspect that's probably where some of this stuff would sound best. ;) Those Wilson Master Chronosonics for instance. Beautifully built (high end theodolite time, I'll give them that). But you can picture the scene. You get up, circa 0253hrs, with severe case of needing cheese, choitzo and tiger-bread. You stumble down the railless stairs, avoid tripping over the sleeping dobermann, and proceed in weaving pattern through the lounge on the way to the kitchen, then half-way there, realise you are about to be taken down by a pair of mechanical triffids, without even having time to commend your soul to God.

They're coming for us...

Attachments

• WMC.png
    WMC.png
    854.9 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:
I'd like to see frequency plot 20 - 20KHz plot, using REW or Holmimpulse without too much smoothing.

Eyewatering money. Do you think they sell many?
Even in a "tuned room" I'm sure they would fail enormously...the tracings bobbing up seven Db., and a few hundred hertz one way or another, the Db. level crashing some twelve decibels worth...no matter, it's art, the eye of the beholder crap....never mind that sciencey & numbers thingy...doesn't it look pretty?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Rick...

Every time I spot a Wilson extravaganza I can see the wavefronts bouncing off all the protuberances. About the only thing they did right wrt diffraction is flush-mount the drivers, but with all the shelves, ledges, and sharp edges they're using a teaspoon to bail the Titanic. It's like the designers (I hesitate to call them engineers) never ran across a copy of Olson's Acoustical Engineering. The Grateful freakin' Dead's engineering team were onto that book fifty years ago.

Who said money makes you wiser?
It feels like it can do the opposite.
There are millions of people with so much money that they struggle to spend it. And so a market exists to sell them exclusive stuff at high prices. I‘m sure many of them are plenty wise.

Reactions: 1 user