Small Preamp for +/-9V Battery supply. Gain ~5

Here is a small and simple project.
Two 9V Batteries power one opamp to give a Gain like 5.
That is all that is needed for HiFi amplifier.

Opamp with TL071.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Here is the 3 transistor variation.
Battery driven with 9+9V = 18 Volt.
It draws only 2.11mA, so there is no worry batteries will be empty soon.
Adjust for 12.0 Volt at output node.

Distortion is a bit higher than with an opamp, but it is still low dist.
THD 0.006% is very good for a so simple circuit.

3 Transistor Preamp_01.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
THD is one thing, but what about THD+N? In "The Art of Electronics" they remarked that op-amps could be thought of as "gain engines". You could try adding a JFET input stage to a bipolar op-amp, and/or add a single-ended output stage to drive headphones.

My guess is that by increasing the gain at the input with a JFET, you could make the total noise go down, as compared to the op-amp on its own.

But I still like the 3 transistor version just on principle. The version my dad made for me as a kid ran on a 9V battery, which probably had several Ohms ESR. So a capacitor could help stiffen rails, and one technique you could try is to put the signal generator on the +ve voltage rail and then play around with the design to increase PSU noise rejection.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Hi, tl072 isn't good for 600R loads (lots of distortion), why not substitute a better opamp? Do you have any other in mind with low consumption?
True, but... at typical signal levels the TL0xxx series opamps can be subjectively excellent. At 2 volt rms output we see only a 4.7milliamp peak swing into 600 ohm which is no problem for the TLOxxx series of opamp. I still rate these chips very highly for subjective audio quality.

Reactions: 1 users