stretch fabric

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Not sure about Ulverston, but certainly in London and probably in most any large City (I do that in Buenos Aires) there is a garment neighbourhood, which in due time will have a "raw cloth specific" area.
We have an 8 or 10 by 4 street area here, just "walk around" yours and visit all shops, not kidding, explaining what you need, they will show you many options, choose one you like.
Everybody gives different names to cloth, what you are looking for here is called "jersey" or "stretch", not sure there, but go by touch or feel.
People sometimes asks me where do I get speaker grille cloth and I ansswer "from a very very secret Audiophile cloth Lab" hehe .
Truth is way simpler of course :D

Only problem is that you should "walk" through shops, verbal descriptions don´t help much.

Agree with Cal - you need a fabric which is described as '4 way stretch'.

Stretch is assured by having a high Elastane content e.g. Poly-Elastane fabric - 80% Polyester; 20% Elastane.

UK supplier: Poly-Elastane

I am not a fabrics expert so try to obtain a sample, or get hands on experience of the fabric, before ordering in quantity!

Thanks. The cloth I am looking for is something like KEF fitted to their Concord speakers. Had a pair of these in the early 80's and the speaker covering was just a tube of stretch fabric that pulled down over the cabinet and then the top and bottom caps were fitted. You could certainly see the drivers through it but not bothered about that. Seemed to work very well and wanted to try similar.

That conjures up images that are wrong on so many levels...
I hope this image is more acceptable - it does illustrate how stretchy Spandex is! ;)

Attachments

• Spandex Unitard.jpg
    Spandex Unitard.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 151
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.