Switchable polarity on woofer

I've been playing with simulations of my speaker's crossover responses in VituixCAD. My speaker is Braun LS200.

I discovered a weird result when the polarities of all drivers were set following the factory setting (TW/MR/WF = -/+/+), the response curve was non-linear. But, when I flipped the polarities of the midrange and tweeter in order to bring them to what a traditional 3-way system be (TW/MR/WF = +/-/+), the response curve became (nearly) flat. So, what does it mean?

factory setting.png

swapped polarity.png

However, I can say that the factory setting doesn't produce bad sound at all; in fact, the Braun LS200s are the twin of the ADS 1590 speakers, and both of them received many positive reviews and also some awards.

Anyway, I have an idea what if I were to add a switch on the woofer's crossover in order to alter the responses between having EQ (the contour curve generated by factory setting) and flat response. What do you think about it?

Did you used the measured frequency and impedance responses of the drivers for the simulations or the starting points was just ideal flat responses? I think the latter is the case here. If so, then your simulations are not showing the reality.

Reactions: 1 user
Did you used the measured frequency and impedance responses of the drivers for the simulations or the starting points was just ideal flat responses? I think the latter is the case here. If so, then your simulations are not showing the reality.
No, I haven't used measurement yet, only simulations. However, I think there should be exist only these two cases; one produces dip, the other produces flat curve, even if my simulations were wrong.

Simulating a crossover assuming ideal responses and impedances isn't even a rough approximation of the real thing: generally it bears no resemblance at all to the real thing. It's not only possible but likely that, when using real measurements, the polarity of some driver ends up reversed, because the combined filter and driver response will be completely different in terms of shape, phase, slope, etc. vs. the filter alone.

I though it would be useful to illustrate to what extent what I said above is the case. Attached is the response of my main speakers, a pretty standard 2-way with Scan Speak 18W/8545 midwoofer and Seas T25C003 (modded) tweeter. Next is the same crossover with ideal drivers (i.e. basically 8 and 6 ohm resistors, the respective nominal impedances of the drivers). In the real system the drivers have the same polarity; note how in the ideal case there isn't much of a notch with either polarity, rather a wide "valley", and, if anything, the reverse response (purple) is actually higher than the in-phase one.

Attachments

• Real.png
    Real.png
    14.3 KB · Views: 22
  • Ideal.png
    Ideal.png
    11.5 KB · Views: 26