The ABEC thread... (translated)

This is a German to English translation of @Gaga guide to ABEC from diy-hifi-forum in the EU

Also be sure to read this after-the-fact: https://www.diyaudio.com/community/threads/abec-experts-help.315353/

"Hello,

as the title suggests and there is obviously interest - the 'How-To Thread' about ABEC .

In the first attempt, 3eepoint (3D-CAD), Fabian, nailhead and Nils kindly contributed their know-how or agreed to do so during the course of the thread. We'll definitely need their input as soon as things get a little more complex... I won't be able to do this alone.

As I already said, I can now handle AkAbak to some extent and am now working on ABEC in order to be able to carry out somewhat more complex simulations in the future.

There is a free version of ABEC that is fully functional, but only cannot save the solving results. So anyone can get started easily and for free. Jörg Panzer even offers a ' student license' for ABEC for non-commercial use .

The plan is initially to simulate a simple BR box based on a demo file supplied with ABAC (the SP38 script). There is also a PDF document for simulating the SP38 BR box on the Randteam homepage under Studies . The aim is to learn the basic structure and basic functions of ABEC using a simple example. Your own model will be based on the small test BR box used in the Pc0 thread , so that the ABEC simulation results can be compared with both measurements and simulations from other programs. Of course, ABEC is not needed to simulate a BR speaker. But the possibility of importing housings drawn in 3D CAD programs into ABEC offers great possibilities for simulating horns, waveguides, etc.... What can be done with ABEC is also nice in Nils' thread ' Waste product with Quasikoax ' or in DIY Auido Forum ( Synergy Horn Thread ). Now let's go, round 2... Nevertheless, you should have the help file at hand for the first steps, which can also be downloaded individually. Greetings, Christopher

Attachments

• 23293.png
    23293.png
    6.9 KB · Views: 78
Reactions: 1 users
Hello everyone,

as announced, I want to start with the first steps. First of all super simple with tiny steps.

On the one hand, this is pleasant for me as a beginner, but on the other hand, I hope that it alleviates some of the anxiety of other interested parties. So, don't run away because of it. I ask users with ABEC experience to take a look at the scripts from time to time and correct them if necessary.

As mentioned in the first post, 3ee and I first try to simulate a very simple BR test box

The housing dimensions are:
148mm x 297mm x 200mm (W x H x D) outside.
The bass (CP-104) is mounted 92mm from below (chassis center).

I will initially do this using scripts, 3ee using 3D CAD files that can be imported into ABEC.

I assume that you have installed and loaded the program and the help and example files.

After starting ABEC you are greeted warmly by the start screen

In my opinion it makes sense to open the examples and just take a look. The scripts that I initially work with are roughly based on the example 'Speaker Cabinet SP38' (C:\xxx\RDTeam\ABEC3\ABEC3 Examples\BEM\Loudspeakers\Speaker Cabinet SP38).

However, I would like to describe the creation of a BEM script in detail, especially the creation of the housing from 'Nodes' and 'Elements'. I would be happy if someone would like to simulate their own BR box with the associated driver in parallel.

But how do you create your own simulation?
More on that in the next post...

Greetings,
Christoph

Attachments

• 23303.png
    23303.png
    78.6 KB · Views: 41
Reactions: 1 users
"Hello,

how can you load information about the ABEC project so that it is displayed under the 'Info' tab?

By clicking on the 'Project' tab, you can create a project, i.e. load scripts that describe the project and tell ABEC how and what should be simulated: The individual scripts and files that can be loaded here

23354.png

or need to do more, step by step.

First, the information about your own ABEC project: The information text about the project can be loaded by double-clicking on 'Information File'. A document window opens and ABEC now wants to load the information text. ABEC expects a text file in .rtf format here.

23295.png

In this case, I simply wrote the text in Word and
saved the file as an RTF document in the ABEC project folder.
After the rtf file has been loaded, it appears in the project window:

23355.png

...and of course also in the info window:

23301.png

In principle, this works the same way with the BEM, LEM and observation scripts that we need to describe an ABEC project . However, these scripts must be loaded in .txt format and can be opened and modified at any time in ABEC by double-clicking...

In the next step, move on to the Boundary Element (BEM) script. What's in there? We'll see in the next post...

Greetings,
Christoph

Reactions: 1 user
Hi Patrick,

Very nice to see that you make use of the German ABEC-Thread and go here step by step as well. I'm happy to support as good as I can as well here.

I consider to start a comparable 'The AKABAK-Thread' on the German forum later this year - as soon as they change to a new version of the forum software (want to avoid issues and possible losses during the upcoming change). May be we can do this in parallel, if you're interested to support the thread here on DIY Audio.

With respect to the randteam-homepage: It still works, (see here), however, the old links might be broken as ABEC is no longer listed as a product there.

Best,
Christoph / Gaga

PS: You may ask Jörg Panzer (reandteam) for a ABEC download-link. This will include the help file refered to in the thread. I find ABEC3-downloads on the internet elswhere, however, I do not know if they are safe.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user