Toroidal Transformer for QUAD 606

I have just bought a replacement Toroidal transformer asked for Secondaries: 2 x 0-80V.
What i actualy got was (80v 0v 80v) which is only one center tapped winding.
The quad power supply circuit shows two independant windings which is why i asked for 2 x 0-80v
windings.
I have attached a screen shot showing the quad power supply with a separate winding for each channel with a virtual earth.
My qustion is will the power supply circuit still work now the transformer windings are actually effectively
connected to give center tapped 80v 0v 80v. see attached screen shots.
Each rectifier will now be connected together at the center tap.

Attachments

• QUAD 606 SEPARATE SECONDARY.png
    QUAD 606 SEPARATE SECONDARY.png
    68.7 KB · Views: 73
  • QUAD 606 CENTER TAPPED SECONDARY.png
    QUAD 606 CENTER TAPPED SECONDARY.png
    71.7 KB · Views: 71
If the secondaries are connected it won’t work. If it’s a toroid it should be relatively easy to get to the center tap, unhook it, and bring out two wires. Unless it’s potted, in that case you’re screwed. A little patience is required unwrapping the outer tape, then putting it back. Why they didn’t bring out all 4 wires is a mystery - doesn’t make any sense not to.

Reactions: 1 users
I contacted TigerToroids who supplied the custom transformer and after I sent it back the issue was promptly fixed. He sent the transformer back to me promptly and I now the transformer has two independent 80V secondary's,
I got some money back too, so i can highly recommend TigerToroids, very competitive prices and great service.