Transistor power amp circuit tweak

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi! Back at it with another hot silicon hi-fi circuit I found and I see the topology is exactly what im looking for but the website says it runs 100 watts into a 4ohm driver. I would like it to run at 100 watts into an 8 ohm driver being 4 ohm stable (160wattsish?). Still pretty new to the game so heres my first guess:

Raise power supply voltage (near +/-45v?)

Increase r16 and r17 values (10 or 20 ohms?)

Of course I'll be using heavy duty transistors and beefy rated components, no expence spared there.
All input is appreciated!

Attachments

• 100-W-HI-FI-Power-Amplifier.jpg
    100-W-HI-FI-Power-Amplifier.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 243
R16 and R17 are the power emitter resistors. 10 or 20 Ohms would waste most of the potential output power, although, lol, it would make the amp hard to destroy. Raising the supply voltage without adding more output transistors and using high voltage transistors, including the front end, is a bad idea. You need a pair of power transistors for every ~50Watts in a linear amplifier.
Don't fall into the beginners trap of trying to make a high power amp. Using expensive parts is no substitute for good engineering.
Save yourself money, time and heartache by doing lots of simulation before you build anything. LTC Spice is free.

Last edited:
Fully agree.

A "better design" is NOT an "old design with better parts" but a different one.

Or: "throwing money at a design does not make it better".

As a side note: "X ohm stable" means nothing, it´s just Sales Dept babble.

If you want a 100W into 8 ohm amplifier, fine, just search for the excellent Apex Audio designs here in this very Forum.

Instead of murdering the very good P3 design by overvolting it to 100W into 8, , pick a 150/200W Apex design and *under* volt it to +/-45V .

Being overspecified for that task, it will work smoothly and forever.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.