Warbler; Mos/Schade MOS/SIT choke loaded follower power amp

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
These are not really my Cup of Tea, but there are few Greedy Boyz gnawing me about this...... so finally

as usual - basic pics in this post

I did forgot any pics taking apparatus today, going to my Workshop, so didn't took in vivo pics of T -Bed; will do that tomorrow when doing SIT ( two iterations of it) arrangement and tests

with this one - name of the game is to get trouble free and steady Iq setting, while having all variations named in title, by wish

EDIT on 16.07.2022. - Revised schematic and measurements, starting from post #30

Attachments

• Warbler Eagle sshot.png
    Warbler Eagle sshot.png
    45.2 KB · Views: 885
  • Warbler top render.png
    Warbler top render.png
    493.1 KB · Views: 420
  • Warbler bottom render.png
    Warbler bottom render.png
    399.4 KB · Views: 854
  • Warbler schm.png
    Warbler schm.png
    180.7 KB · Views: 1,678
Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
as seen on schematic - projected (negative) rail voltage is around 35Vdc; projected Iq is in range of 3A to 3A2, using IXYS Puck MOS, or same in Scade config, or Tokin Puck SIT

2SK2087C - rail can be lower , Iq in range of 2A

Ben Mah did play with several iterations of choke loaded amps, so he's a guy with best xperience which ready made chokes are good

All I have now of chokes ( no intention to chase better ones, too many amps) are two pcs of so-so similar cannibalized Microwave Owen xformers; while inductivity is OK ( 200mH), their Rdc is catastrophic - slightly under 2R

So, graphs I'm going to show are up to 10W and no more - due to two reasons:

- my THD measuring apparatus is good (amp input signal department) up to 10W@8R voltage swing and I wasn't in the mood to work on that further
-had a setup with 30Vdc rail; lazy to make necessary changes on T-Bed for more

So, with proper rail voltage, proper loading choke ( Rdc much lower), you can expect to see lower THD at 5W and 10W levels, and you can expect steady 40W@8R, taking in account that SE Follower isn't PL XA25, cruising near max power all day long

again, test setup - 30Vdc rail, Iq 3A

so, for start, straight MOS iteration, 8R load

Attachments

• Warbler 1W 8R.png
    Warbler 1W 8R.png
    7.3 KB · Views: 183
  • Warbler 5W 8R.png
    Warbler 5W 8R.png
    35.6 KB · Views: 198
  • Warbler 10W 8R.png
    Warbler 10W 8R.png
    7.4 KB · Views: 172
  • Warbler Freq. 8R.png
    Warbler Freq. 8R.png
    5.8 KB · Views: 164
  • Warbler THD vs. Freq. 8R.png
    Warbler THD vs. Freq. 8R.png
    49.9 KB · Views: 175
Last edited:
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Schade MOS , load 8R

as is normal with Scade arrangement, thing always get interesting above 10KHz or so, but that's nature of the Beast; there are different ways of doing it, Papa did show his trick with input xformer in Singing Bush predecessor amp - BAF 2015 .... anyway, 101 way of skinning virtual Cat

Attachments

• Warbler Schade 1W 8R.png
    Warbler Schade 1W 8R.png
    36.9 KB · Views: 107
  • Warbler Schade 5W 8R.png
    Warbler Schade 5W 8R.png
    38.4 KB · Views: 110
  • Warbler Schade 10W 8R.png
    Warbler Schade 10W 8R.png
    38.8 KB · Views: 105
  • Warbler Schade Freq. 8R.png
    Warbler Schade Freq. 8R.png
    5.9 KB · Views: 108
  • Warbler Schade THD vs. Freq. 8R.png
    Warbler Schade THD vs. Freq. 8R.png
    50.3 KB · Views: 103
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
in fact, I believe there is a way of doing it even better, mostly thinking of better Iq stability in dynamic domain

stiffer Iq with large signals and much faster recovery

oh well, can't always end with what's drawn on first napkin, sometimes second one is better

:rofl:

in short, out with optocoupler, in with current mirror

Warbler postponed to final version, whichever one ends as one

Joined 2012
Paid Member
I have a different taste in tea than Zen Mod. I like my choke loaded followers.:)

The only brand of chokes that I have tried is Hammond. They are made in Canada and I buy them from Mouser, who has them shipped to the USA and then they ship them back to me in Canada.

The Hammond chokes that I use in my amps as load are the 193V and the 159ZC. The 193V is rated at 150mH 3.0A 1.0 Ohm DCR. I use it in my 2SK180 follower. The 159ZC is rated at 60mH 2.0A 0.7 Ohm DCR. I use it in my 2SJ28 follower. I am very happy with the performance of these two amplifiers.

Zen Mod has specified 60mH 5A 0.47 Ohm RDC. As far as I know Hammond does not have a choke that meet those numbers. However I would venture to guess that the 193V would do the job.

So it could be named Super-Mofo? :)
As to microwave oven transformers, I played a bit with them while building Mofos.
And yes, the problem with the 220 V ones we have in Europe is too high Rdc (I measured almost 3 ohms).
But then, I counterproductive/counterintuitive idea crossed my mind:
Two MW xformers in parallel? That would halve their inductance (self shot in the leg), but it would also halve their Rdc, making them somewhat usable, at twice the bulk/weight (or even four of them in parallell/series, but that would be a double overkill)...
But, since I can obtain them cheaply at a jukyard, maybe it makes sense...

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
in fact, I believe there is a way of doing it even better, mostly thinking of better Iq stability in dynamic domain

stiffer Iq with large signals and much faster recovery

oh well, can't always end with what's drawn on first napkin, sometimes second one is better

:rofl:

in short, out with optocoupler, in with current mirror

Warbler postponed to final version, whichever one ends as one

which means that Choked Singing Bush (yeah, SB with choke in place of Mu follower, thus needing full biasing mech. at SIT side) is going to benefit from same change

I already have pcbs for Choked one, dunno, maybe even for 6 months , simply didn't had brain (ppl usually are saying - time) to put it on bench

oh well, Life is Good

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
you're right :)

- I paid my dues - have TW for M3 and M4, and using them

- Indeed ....... Assembly of Japanese Bicycle Require Great Peace of Mind; so, Regular Greedy Boy must be aware of one thing first - peanut brain size of Might ZM is allowing just that much of Assembly Manual ...... if you see that your chain is slipping, that doesn't mean that Mighty ZM sent you chain too big ......

:clown: