Weird balance trouble on rear channels

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Weird balance trouble on rear channels JL 300/4

When I adjust my balance all the way to the left rear I get no sound from the left speaker. Swapped RCA's (Right and left), the same thing but now on the right side. Both speakers work though when balanced at 0 and sound "even". Front speaker balance works normally.
Seems to be an issue with left rear something?
Is this the head unit?

Last edited:
Possibly but I keep reading your posts and you keep editing them so I'm getting a bit confused. I'll wait until tomorrow when all of the posts stabilize and then I'll re-read.
Yes, sorry. I'm confusing myself!

So no matter whether I use front or rear RCA's from the head unit, the rear channels will not balance correctly. When fading to the left I hear no sound, when fading to the right I hear sound from both. Swap left and right and now right has no sound when fading to the right but has sound fading to the left.

Just went out and did that, no change. I did get the idea to swap left and right RCA'S and then leave left one off. Have sound out of both speakers! So basically if the right channel gets a signal the left works along with it. I opened it up and took some pictures, I don't see anything out of the ordinary, but I am no tech either. Let me figure out how to upload, keeps sending me to Tapatalk

Last edited:
Pics attached

Attachments

• 20190503_174211.jpg
    20190503_174211.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 44
  • 20190503_174217.jpg
    20190503_174217.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 46
  • 20190503_174241_HDR.jpg
    20190503_174241_HDR.jpg
    1,018.5 KB · Views: 49
  • 20190503_174255.jpg
    20190503_174255.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 41
I found some notes that a couple of 300/4s had RF channels out due to a loss of power to the op-amps. The op-amps are on the end of the preamp board near the front speaker terminals. You can get to them without taking the amp apart. Only remove the bottom cover.

Only do this if all else fails.

Don't do this with power applied. You should be able to find it by measuring the resistance between the corresponding power terminals between the nearby op-amps. The op-amps will be marked 2068.

I know this is a long shot but sometimes they land...
I have experienced an issue similar to the fault you have where the left and right speaker had a common return ('-'ve) that got disconnected from the head unit. So both speakers were in series and being driven by the '+'ve bridged across both amps. This resulted in both speakers fading out when panning the balance. Perhaps the return from each speaker have been swapped some how?

I know this is a long shot but sometimes they land...
I have experienced an issue similar to the fault you have where the left and right speaker had a common return ('-'ve) that got disconnected from the head unit. So both speakers were in series and being driven by the '+'ve bridged across both amps. This resulted in both speakers fading out when panning the balance. Perhaps the return from each speaker have been swapped some how?

The speaker wires are running to passive crossovers (Infinity perfect 6.1) I checked polarity from speakers-to-crossover and crossover-to-amp. Would this eliminate what you are talking about? Not sure what you mean by "return" I'm thinking the wires coming from amp to crossover, correct?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.