What kind of plastic that used to mold a horn

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I designed a horn myself, and I tried to use plastic sheet to glue one in shape, but none of the material I used can produce the sound I desired.

People suggested that I make a mold and mold one with the plastic injection machine, because with plastic injection technique, they can mold plastic material like honeycomb inside, which it can produce sound like plywood.

I wonder what kind of plastic those famous brand horns such as JBL are mold with?

could anyone please provide me some information about the plastic?

Thanks alot!

...but none of the material I used can produce the sound I desired.

Any type of material, whether plastic, metal, fiberglass, even paper mache can sound just fine if properly damped. Coat the outside with asphalt, clay, layering of plastics or fiberglass, concrete... anything to stop the horn from freely vibrating by itself.

Pardon my asking, and please don't take this the wrong way, but could the problem with the sound be in the design of the horn? You state that your design is of your own doing. While powerful modelling programs can reasonably predict responces, there are many variables that can cause unforseen colorations. And, as I understand, high frequency horns are finicky compared to mid and low horns, and an improper design can quite easily result in enormous spikes in response, slurring the sound with just a single narrow peak.

Any type of material, whether plastic, metal, fiberglass, even paper mache can sound just fine if properly damped. Coat the outside with asphalt, clay, layering of plastics or fiberglass, concrete... anything to stop the horn from freely vibrating by itself.

Pardon my asking, and please don't take this the wrong way, but could the problem with the sound be in the design of the horn? You state that your design is of your own doing. While powerful modelling programs can reasonably predict responces, there are many variables that can cause unforseen colorations. And, as I understand, high frequency horns are finicky compared to mid and low horns, and an improper design can quite easily result in enormous spikes in response, slurring the sound with just a single narrow peak.

Thank you so much for your valuable advise! Actually, I do not have any experience in sonic matters, I Just kind of copying the curve and propotion of the JBL horn I brought years ago. I modelled it with 3D software( ProE), but I do not know what software can simulate the sound wave action. I planned to modify the shape by trial and error, and hopfully I will get a better sound horn at the end.

Actually, I started building the mold already, I hope that I can find the right plastic to mold with. Once the material is determined, I can mold many pieces of horns and do various modification and test for the best result.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.