What's your method for filling the tiny cracks between plywood sides?

What has everyone come up with for filling the tiny spaces you see in these pictures?

I have been just filling it with putty but the issue is that sometimes the stain doesn't quite take right in that area.
I am considering mixing the putty with some of the stain to hopefully blend it buuutttt, that might just double stain that particular area and make it way worse.

Attachments

• PXL_20240628_185430972.jpg
    PXL_20240628_185430972.jpg
    352.9 KB · Views: 40
  • PXL_20240628_185425654.jpg
    PXL_20240628_185425654.jpg
    343.7 KB · Views: 38

GM

Joined 2003
I'm no perfectionist, but backside sealing with glue (when an option), then using matching fine wood dust packed in with a putty knife and let the stain seal it worked well enough repairing fine furniture, etc., that time, environment, abuse had damaged.

Reactions: 1 user
I have showing plywood end grain. It's ugly. Doesn't take stain right. Doesn't last. I plan my builds to minimize it. How much more expensive is solid wood? If it's just too much, consider a cap of matching real wood, maybe 1/4"-1/8" thick, glued to the edge. They make tape for this too, with matching grain, but it's not very durable. Depends on your usage.

Oh you're talking about those tiny gaps. Heh.

Get some sawdust, mix it with your wood glue and shove it into those gaps, jam it in with your fingertips, rub til smooth. Wipe with a damp cloth before the glue dries so it won't show under your stain.

Fine sawdust/wood flour works well but imo is best when used in conjunction with dark stains as the adhesive geneally darkens the mixture. This is just my experience and perhaps binders/adheisives I haven't tried work differently. It cost nothing and takes very little time to make up several test samples, varying adhesives and sawdust if you're so inclined. Sawdust from a lighter colored wood may make a better match.

Veneer? Well, I modified this 23/32nd 11 ply to a 12 ply @a full 3/4". Spiffy eh?
Another tact is to look into the history of veneering. Furniture made during the Renaissance often had beautiful veneer work and a great deal of it is still around today. Pretty impressive.
I've made a bit of veneer with nothing more than a cheap-ish 14"bandsaw (w/6" riser block), a 13" planer and a nice flat sanding block. If you have access to the machines, it's not very difficult and may avoid the feeling of fakery. Going thinner than ~1/8" with this method can be a little trickier but I've done it successfully by using a sled with grip tape to support the piece during planing. I like using the thicker cuts where it works but
I've recently gained access to a couple much more capable resaws and wide drum sanders so I'll be trying to make some thinner veneers to reduce waste and stretch out some valued stock. You'd almost think some of this wood doesn't grow on trees...
In any case, good luck and happy finishing.