Youtube based music for testing audio system

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Some people think that all amps sound the same. Of course that's not right. There are recordings that will magnifies the differences between amps, either by showing glory or by collapsing the sound :)

But I do know that a good system should sound good with all recordings, whether audiophile recordings or low resolution MP3. So I'm trying to gather a list of recordings that will make your sound system collapses.

Right now, I have this recording (suggested by Traderbam): If Love Is A Red Dress by Maria McKee. I couldn't stand listening to it through my headphone but I could do with my amp and speaker, but still I found it 'annoying', not so with Troels Gravesen's "Siri's killer notes". The whistle doesn't sound natural. It could be the recording but if others enjoy this recording then I don't know why I don't. YouTube

Second one is BB King with Clapton and others singing "The Thrill Is Gone". It sounds good, but I think it sounded better, or, I prefer listening to it (in term of wanting to listen more and more) through my headphone :(

Attachments

• IfLoveIsARedDress.png
    IfLoveIsARedDress.png
    79.8 KB · Views: 266
The exact opposite is true. A good system makes it very clear whether you are listening to a high quality source material. Try listening to an MP3 source and a FLAC source through the same system.
You should be able to hear a world of difference. Also the recording quality on CDs can vary tremendously, all this is apparent on a good system. The average boom box will hide this which is why much audio quality is dumbed down for the mass market.

Also YouTube audio stream is very low quality, so not the best to judge a system on!

Last edited:
Awhile back I started ‘voicing’ (tuning, eq’ing ?..) my passive crossovers to my listening position just to ‘hear’ what might be possible.

Long story short I came out of it with some decent results learning quite a bit in the process. One of the downsides to this (or is it?) in doing so I’ve basically ‘mastered’ the system to a certain style/type of music....in this case blues/rock/country. I find myself surfing tidal for songs with compatibility, sometimes even the same cd will only have one or two songs that match up.

Now this may seem to impose limitations but I see it as I’d rather have less quantity and more quality.

Some of the music that was on my playlist I’ve had to remove because of this but when it sounds good......it sounds real good!

Most of the problems were with music that had a lot of ‘effects’ like tube emulation and added distortions......whatever made the others sound better amplified these effects to a point of being unlistenable.

You tube adds some kind of effect on its music videos.....sounds good but different until you make it loud.....then it’s not so nice.

But yah garbage in.....garbage out

If you start with a false premise then you are likely to end up with a false conclusion.
The exact opposite is true. A good system makes it very clear whether you are listening to a high quality source material. Try listening to an MP3 source and a FLAC source through the same system. You should be able to hear a world of difference.

I didn't say that through a good system, MP3 and FLAC should sound the same, did I? Audiophile recordings are in general so good that may be it will sound good through a boombox too? Man, a good system should show clear difference between singers/musicians. Through a good system you should be able to hear who can sing or play instrument and who cannot. What is the point of listening to a good recording of amateurs playing music???

I think not many understand that a good system should show clear difference between singers/musicians (You have to experience it, having good speaker and good amp, may be good ears too). The other one is that with a good system, you have less objections with recording quality. I prefer an MP3 of great singers/musicians than audiophile quality recordings of so-so singers and musicians.

Joined 2008
Paid Member
I usually stream to Chromecast Audio - which is definitely not a lossless stream - and I am using the same unit for a few years. Recently, I upgraded my system from a Denon mini receiver with Dali Zensor 5 speakers to a biamped setup with a EL34 SE tube amp and Hedlund horns with Lowther DX-2 which are being helped at the low end by a Denon PMA1500 amplifier with two open baffle 15" speakers. This was done in a few steps and each step brought considerable improvement to the sound - with the same lossy compressed source. Now the sound is just awesome, so that nothing forces me to upgrade anyting, I can now enjoy music on a completely different level. I am pretty sure that with higher signal quality, the sound would be even better.

Youtube is also changing and the newer uploads have better quality than say a year or two ago. Google is actually replacing Google music with YouTube Music in near future.

I think I am a happy man that my ears can be fooled by (good!) lossy compression - I could not tell the difference between 320kbit mp3 and a wav in a double blind test on a relatively good system (not nearly as good as the one I have now). I somehow enjoy playing gramophone versions of the same songs, but practically, I am satisfied enough with the streaming.

And so I would say, that even a Youtube recording can show the quality of the sound system. Definitely not all of them, especially the older ones are really nasty.

YouTube music videos possess an odd sound quality for me

The bit rate is quite low supposedly and music very compressed but it still has some ethereal tones that draw you in.......unicorn magic maybe?

If you turn it up more than half way it gets ugly pretty quick though....
I do have the ‘premium’ version.....I wonder if that comes with any sonic upgrades?

I actually must stress out - I like the sound of this song from Google Music, I do not stream from YouTube. When I stream from Chrome playing YouTube, it sounds not so good. I think I need to make a direct comparison.
How can you be stressed out when you got fluffy pink unicorns riding rainbows!:cheerful::cheerful:

I run my you tube from the televisions optical out into the receiver maybe that helps a little......but I find most you tube videos surprisingly listenable. (As long as it’s not too loud)

I just wouldn’t start using you tube for system reference(or any lossy codec for that matter) but that’s just me.

I do use tidal hi-fi for reference......flac 16/44.1 at worst.
Most recordings sound better than if I played the cd.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.