PSB Alpha B1 internal pic

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The front and rear.Front aluminium grills were removed,which was a hard job.

look.jpg

The entire back panel, and the front baffle from the looks of it, are made of plastic. A very good reason for all that stuffing, without it this speaker would sound very hollow I'm guessing.

The crossover is disappointing, but about what I would expect from a speaker of this price. I used to own a pair of JBL N26II speakers, which had a surprisingly solid cabinet, but very poor tweeter, and crossover quality equal to that of this PSB unit.

Hello Bamalama, nothing bad said as far as the people here. No nasty words or inciteful behavior. However, even though I don't own a pair of these speakers, I guarantee one thing. You will now have to explain what you did to "revoice" your speakers. I am sure others here will be asking soon!;) :D

Peace,

Dave

Sorry for bumping an old thread. Caught this excellent post about disassembling this speaker via a search. ( Figures someone on DIY Audio would have the goods on what I am looking for)

I want to upgrade the crossover and damping of my B1's and started disassembling them. However, I cannot get the crossover board to separate from the black plastic back panel! I unscrewed the 4 screws and it will not budge! Is there another screw somewhere or is it glued in?

I know this post was awhile ago but I some help. Thanks in advance!

Sorry for bumping an old thread. Caught this excellent post about disassembling this speaker via a search. ( Figures someone on DIY Audio would have the goods on what I am looking for)

I want to upgrade the crossover and damping of my B1's and started disassembling them. However, I cannot get the crossover board to separate from the black plastic back panel! I unscrewed the 4 screws and it will not budge! Is there another screw somewhere or is it glued in?

I know this post was awhile ago but I some help. Thanks in advance!

Nevermind... the crossover was glued in as well. Heck of a time getting it out, thought I was going to crack the board in half.

As per my upgrades if anyone is interested, adding No Rez to the cab and replacing the 5.6 tweeter cab with a Sonicap. May replace the 8uf cap as well.

These are some seriously good speakers! Heard the hype but never paid much attention. Glad I bought them. Using these with a Dayton DTA 100A amp and DIY sub with my computer. Gorgeous midrange and nice highs.

Finished with my mods and very pleased. Took these great speakers up a notch or two.

Replaced the 5.6 caps with Sonicaps.

Replaced the 1ohm resistor with a Lynx.

Replaced the 8uf woofer cap with a combo of Dayton caps to make the value. Probably doesn't make much of a difference being a series cap in the woofer circuit but what the hell.

Put some No Rez sound damping on the walls, top, bottom. Used the fiberglass wadding that came with the speaker.

Speakers are smoother and take more volume without breakup. Used to be a bit of grain in the high mids at louder volumes which is now gone. Overall a nice upgrade to an excellent budget speaker.

Sure everyone is riveted with these postings but recording for posterity. Officially done messing with these speakers. Very happy with them now.

Replaced the 8uf woofer cap with a combo of Dayton caps to make the value. Probably doesn't make much of a difference being a series cap in the woofer circuit but what the hell.

This was a mistake putting these caps in parallel. With previous experience, any pair of caps for that matter. Even in a woofer shunt apparently. After breaking in noted a somewhat cupped sound with vocals, particularly female. Also sounded like a studio effect was on if that makes any sense. Replaced the two caps with a Clarity PX cap 8.2uf and pure joy!

Read that caps shunted to ground make little difference but with this project that is not true.

I want to clarify one thing about the Alpha B1, they are 100% made by PSB. As far as the crossover, I believe in the old school when you use the minimal that works, and obviously PSB uses that philosophy. When I built my Swans M1 replica, I used the Dayton 12 db/octave crossover which was specified by the manufacturer. It was expensive, but I have never heard any bookshelf better or more accurate. Be careful making off cuff remarks about what engineers used unless you can prove they don't work as designed. My computer speakers are Alpha B1s with a Parasound amp, and a Schitt digital converter, and the CD sound extraordinary. So the speakers work!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.