18w4531g00 + d3004/6600

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hello,

a friend of mine sold me this drivers. it was part of a kit. (scan speak reference se)
this is the kit. (in dutch : http://www.audiocomponents.nl/reviews/refmonse.pdf)
speaker : two way, sloped front.

a friend of mine gave me a crossover design which he thinks is better... i mailed the guy who has developped the speaker and he told me that his crossover would be better.

could anybody shed a light on this topic ? i have been reading around on the forum and found out that an lc(r) network is not working with this driver... (the original doesn't has this)

if nothing conclusive comes out i might build one with the original crossover and one with the friends crossover... and listen in mono for a while... :)

Attachments

• scanspeak_original.jpg
    scanspeak_original.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 258
  • scanspeak_new.jpg
    scanspeak_new.jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 257
I agree with Lojzek, the original crossover design from the magazine looks well engineered for the slanted baffle cabinet. The slanted baffle creates time alignment at a typical listening distance for the difference in physical depth between the tweeter and midrange. The second order crossover circuits used on both the midrange and tweeter each create a 90-degree phase shift, and connecting the tweeter with reverse polarity sums the positive+negative to creates a very flat phase response around the crossover frequency.

These are excellent drivers and you should have an excellent speaker if you follow the cabinet design and construction details from the magazine article.

Joined 2005
Paid Member
You can't just specify drivers and then look at x-overs without looking at many other things.

You need to define the baffle geometry, and you need measured response curves of the drivers in this baffle (on-axis and off-axis). You need to define your design concepts of the speaker (this will be a two-way, but what else do you have in mind, and why?)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.