5-15k USD 96dB/1M+

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'd buy the following:

- 2x BMS coaxial compression driver
- 2x decent-sized horns
- 2x decent 15" bass driver. If space allows, make it 4x drivers and gain efficiency.
- Wood for cabinets. Tune at, say, 28Hz.
- Measurement mic
- Big box of crossover bits
- Lots of music

Chris

Volti Audio?..

Their 'Rival' model looks the part, apparently delivers all that which that might be expected, and possibly more.

If you had 5 to 15k USD to spend, what would you buy? - proviso <10W Amplifier.

IMHO, that's a bad provisio, sorry.

Even with 96dB/W(m) speakers, a 10W amp will severely clip the peaks of dynamic music (crest factor = 15-25dB) when played moderately loud (85 dB at an approx. 3m listening distance). I have done the math, and I can assure you that that is absolutely the case.

Also, from personal experience: I have 93dB/W(m) speakers at home, and on several classical and jazz tracks I need a good 40-50W per channel (measured values); on some particularly dynamic tracks, I even use the full 100Wpc output of my amp.

So with 96dB/W(m) speakers, I would recommend a 25W amp as a bare minimum, and 50W to be safe.

To fully enjoy this same music with a 10W amp would really demand 100dB/W(m) speakers - of which there are VERY FEW.

OTOH, if one only listens to heavily compressed pop music (crest factor = 3-6dB), then it's another story altogether, and you can reduce the power demand figures by a factor of 10. IOW, 10W will drive you out of the room with 96dB/W(m) speakers ;-)

Marco

36" wide e-JMLC 300 HOTLIPS waveguide .... Intellectually Erotic, not DumbA$$ Poronographic

2_BMS 4592Nd 2" coaxial compression driver
2_36" wide e-JMLC 300 waveguide in flat black
4_AES TD18H+ side-by-side below the 36" eJMLC 300 (~100db sensitivity. use a modest bass-shelf alignment)
2_30" high, 96" wide, 20" deep cabinets
1_77" LG OLED TV between speakers

Attachments

• e-JMLC 300 .jpg
    e-JMLC 300 .jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 263
Volti Audio?..

Their 'Rival' model looks the part, apparently delivers all that which that might be expected, and possibly more.

If you had 5 to 15k USD to spend, what would you buy? - proviso <10W Amplifier.

The midrange of that speaker is nearly 10dB lower than the bass and treble:

Volti Audio Rival loudspeaker Measurements | Stereophile.com

That type of "U shaped" curve is a great way to sell loudspeakers, but the sound gets monotonous fast.

Danley SH50 is 100dB efficient : https://www.danleysoundlabs.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/SH-50-spec-sheet11.pdf

They sound very nice. As this is a DIY forum, I'd recommend building Bill Waslo's Small Syns. But if you just want to buy something, the SH50 has the efficiency you're looking for, and they sound lovely.

Also, you might consider renting them. That's how I auditioned them. Cost something like $150 for a weekend.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies. To clarify, that is >96dB efficient, the higher the sensitivity the better. I'm married to the amplifiers at 7W.

Seems Volti is perhaps not what I am looking for - thanks.

Danley SH50 - I can look into them and Bill Waslo's Small Syns.

That's twice mentioned the BMS coax compression drivers.. I take note. Will research them as well.

Teresonic ?
Charney Audio ?
Pure Audio Project OB?

Thanks,
HK

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.