8" woofers 40-250hz

Hi

Im taking over a big 3-way speaker build with the cabinets already build. The baffles can be done as I want within limits ofcourse.
Now im looking for 8" speaker-candidates and hope to get some help from you...

The speakers will have 4x8" per side and an MTM section in the middle with 2x Purifi 6,5" and a Mundorf AMT29. (well tested by myself in different setups).

The 8" woofers have around 60-70 litres of volume per 2 speakers. And Im open for using them as closed or ported.
These 3-way speakers will have big open baffel subs taking care of the frequencies up to 40-50hz so the 8" have to be at its best between 45-50 - ~250hz.

Any suggestions? Purifi 8" are the dream but cost to much. Im thinking maximum around 300euro/dollars per speaker.

8" or more like ~235mm is the max diameter of the speakers.

Happy to hear your thoughts! / Theo

Last edited:
@TheoSweden Just to be clear, you are talking about a WW-MTM-WW configuration, yes?

Would you be open to the possibility of a W-MTM-W configuration with 2 larger woofers per side rather than 4 8" woofers? Larger woofers have some advantages over smaller ones down below 40 Hz, even with the same equivalent surface area.

j.

Reactions: 2 users
Had just a similar question, this is the today status of my market analysis and decision:

For the woofer section I decided to take 2x 8" 8 Ohm parallel in 40-50l CB for both, active.
Had following woofers on my list, the best 8 inch woofer thread also helped me alot:

Value class:
Dayton RS225
SB Acoustics SB23NBACS45
Scan Speak 22W/8534G00
Failtal 8RS350
--> would take the Scan Speak. I like the 26W very much, and the 22W has nice measurements and simulates well. Price here is 100-120.- €

Performance Class:
Scan Speak 21W/8555-10
Wavecor WF223BD02
Dayton RSS210HO-8
SB Satori WO24P
Visaton TIW200XS
PHL 2730
--> Wavecor is favourite, shows flawless measurements in the german DIY hifi magazines, really wide range and low distortion, very high Qms. Price is around 240.- €

Expensive Class:
Scan Speak 22W/8857T00
Scan Speak 22W/8851T00
Seas L22ROY2
Wavecor SW223BD03
SB Satori WO24TX-8
--> Seas is too much subwoofer like, Wavecore also for my taste and very expensive here, Satori is ugly. The paper Scan Speak shows breakup at 800Hz with distortion. Aluminum cone Revelator looks nice, very low distortion motor, high Qms, capable stroke. Worth the ~320.-€ ?

Purify is out due to price and ugly surround.

So mind says Wavecor WF223BD02, heart says Scan Speak 22W/8857T00. When I imagine the possible mid-high combinations I listed above, the Scan Speak fits to all of them somehow from just the feeling and looks.
https://www.diyaudio.com/community/threads/back-to-the-roots.407758/#post-7604774

Last edited:
These 3-way speakers will have big open baffel subs taking care of the frequencies up to 40-50hz so the 8" have to be at its best between 45 - ~250hz.
Actually that 45-250Hz is the best range (subjectively) for open-baffle, not sealed or ported. You would then use a subwoofer BELOW 50Hz that’s sealed or ported (Rythmik Audio “servo”).

The easy choice for 50-250Hz would be 2 of these per side (below your MTM):
http://www.sbaudience.com/index.php/products/open-baffle-drivers/bianco-12ob150/

How bout we answer the guys request?

Given the very specific request…the solution is

https://www.parts-express.com/Dayto...-Series-HF-Subwoofer-4-Ohm-295-456?quantity=1

40hz sealed in 30 liters per driver…..60 per pair and with four, suitable efficiency to mate with your mtm section.

Suggestion…..given the great distance between the top and bottom woofer to the mid section, I’d run those two woofers with a .5 coil just to offset baffle step and reduce some comb filtering. Sounds a really fun speaker

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone that thinks you can't get serious bass out of a cluster of 8" should check out the SWR Henry the 8x8.
I have one and used to use it in my big room stage setup. I drove it first with a home made 100W amp and then with a Crown D amp.
Great bass speaker. I still have it. I think that one uses Fostex drivers. I recall that Steve was fond of them.

Reactions: 1 user
Actually that 45-250Hz is the best range (subjectively) for open-baffle, not sealed or ported. You would then use a subwoofer BELOW 50Hz that’s sealed or ported (Rythmik Audio “servo”).

The easy choice for 50-250Hz would be 2 of these per side (below your MTM):
http://www.sbaudience.com/index.php/products/open-baffle-drivers/bianco-12ob150/
Hi
Thanks for your ideas, I have build OB speakers with 4 x 12ob150s but I sold them. I have also build 10-15 different OP baffle spekers in price range from cheap to very expensive during the last 20 years. Now I bought two cabinets that I would like to try a different approach with.

@TheoSweden Just to be clear, you are talking about a WW-MTM-WW configuration, yes?

Would you be open to the possibility of a W-MTM-W configuration with 2 larger woofers per side rather than 4 8" woofers? Larger woofers have some advantages over smaller ones down below 40 Hz, even with the same equivalent surface area.

j.
Hi

Yes you are right . WWW-MTM-WWW is also an option but its a tight fit with 8" then. Ill post pictures soon.

The cabinets are only 250mm wide and In this build I would like to have it like that.

How bout we answer the guys request?

Given the very specific request…the solution is

https://www.parts-express.com/Dayto...-Series-HF-Subwoofer-4-Ohm-295-456?quantity=1

40hz sealed in 30 liters per driver…..60 per pair and with four, suitable efficiency to mate with your mtm section.

Suggestion…..given the great distance between the top and bottom woofer to the mid section, I’d run those two woofers with a .5 coil just to offset baffle step and reduce some comb filtering. Sounds a really fun speaker
Thanks for that, interesting woofer, I look more into it. Im going to run this setup active with a bunch of Hypex amps so I have some options.

Thanks for all answers, I didnt had time to answer or give more information yesterday but here it comes.

The cabinets (not yet home but they are on their way) are 3D printed and 250mm wide. They have been tried with SB Satori 7,5" like on the picture but I dont have those drivers and I dont know to much about how they performed. My plan is to build new baffles and take care of the outer layer to make them look nice.

I have 4xHypex FA502 for the whole speakers so plenty of power availible.

In my first question I asked for 4x8" per side but I infact think its possible to have 6x8" but the box volume gets a bit small maybe...

Your ideas are very interesting and just throw them at me, when the cabinets arrive I can measure volume etc. more accurate.

Theo

Attachments

• IMG_1614.jpeg
    IMG_1614.jpeg
    232.5 KB · Views: 209
  • IMG_1615.jpeg
    IMG_1615.jpeg
    181.3 KB · Views: 213
  • IMG_1617.jpeg
    IMG_1617.jpeg
    238.1 KB · Views: 207
Goregous enclosures, are they printed within 1 piece?!? How thick are the side panels, what material is it?

By looking at the picture, 6x 8" per side might barely fit, but getting really crowded then on the baffle.
4x8" or 6x6.5" seems ideal. 4x8" is the better deal. 6x6.5" may look nicer.

What do you plan for the mids and tweeter?

P.S.: It is not so well to see, but if the enclosures have no stiffening ribs and brackets internally I would add some to avoid panel resonances...

Yeah they look great I think.
They are printed in one piece yes, 16mm thick walls Bitumen maths on the inside. "Woodfilled granule-plastic" something. I might make them stiffer if needed yes, maybe by adding something to the outer layer to, we'll see.

They are build for 8x Satori 7,5" and a Mundorf AMT in the middle. As I wrote Im going to use Purifi 6,5" and Mundorf AMT29 in MTM so I think 6x8" also fits but with small volume behind so 4x8" might be better depending of what woofers I use ofcourse.