AK4499EX

I broke down... I bought this card for 250 euros. the design of the ultra-low noise power supplies and separate ground planes spurred me into action! What do the DAC pros think here... I'm not looking for the ultimate, I don't have the financial means... And I think it's still DIY, a bit qualitative all the same...:)
Sc1a63f3bed9b476d9bbaa08dd74e1473B.jpg

S56f3fac591c44c879d1c8476bdd9a5fai.jpg

Last edited:
How many layers are the PCBs?

I will say this about Aliexpress or equivalent dacs (if that's what this is), which is that IME you don't get more than you pay for. Maybe you get less, though. Opamps and or passive components may be fakes. The main featured chips though, tend to be real. Film caps may be nonlinear mylar, not polypropylene. Ceramic caps are X5R or worse. Two layer boards may be used, when you need at least 4-layers. Stuff like that.

Reactions: 1 user
Well, it's alive! :):):) Despite a big scare because of a rider...:oops: The translations from Chinese are hard to interpret. In short, the volume is thus found at full volume on a single channel... (test speakers) The speaker coil got hot, I still have the smell of it in my nose! But it survived, still 8 ohms on the multimeter. Hard wiring and testing on various modes 16 to 32b and 44 to 384 Kh in PCM, Dsd to check later... No noise or hiss at max volume! The sound seems promising, I loved the sound of the cymbals and plucked strings.
It's subjective, not definitive, I'll try after putting it in the box on my living room speakers... :)

IMG20240505091922.jpg
IMG20240505192139.jpg

Imho those caps are not for sound, swapped them all on a similar constructor with 4493 dac. The difference in sound is just huge, but it is very difficult to choose a combination of different capacitors. It takes a lot of time.
As for my ears and system i've choose Nichicon FG for digital power supply, Elna Silmic II + Muse ES for VREF + VDDL/R + VCOML/R.
Very hearable place also in the power circuit of op amps...

Last edited: