DIY Class A/B Amp The "Wolverine" build thread

@danieljw

Thanks for sharing your measurement gear - this is truly a testament to this extreme design. You definitely need something dedicated to accurately measure this amp, my QA403 will not do!

Do you mind sharing the details of your 8 ohm load including the fancy resistor complement?

I imagine it will have to be very low in inductance so as to not induce any artificial distortion, my Parts Express 8 ohm sand cast 100 watt block is cowering in the corner.

Best,
Anand.

Reactions: 1 users
Ok Guys,

Just for a bit of fun here is a quick THD measurement for you:

Yup.

Real Nice. State of the art even.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, power supply noise is the real problem. And by problem I mean makes an FFT graph look ugly. Put that same amp channel into your final use chassis, taking out those nice dedicated lithium supplies and measure again.

Exhibit A - 5w into 8 ohms, REW signal gen - E30II - Wolverine - E1DA ADC.

WOLV R 1KHZ 8R 6.3V.jpg

The PS noise is adding a combined ~20db above the noise floor. Not really a problem for me (amps dead silent on all my speakers). But maybe for 99dB+ efficient speakers. The HD in the graph is from the DAC and not the amp which is wild. But how to get a clean power supply? So far I've only read two amps do it, the benchmark ahb2 (SMPS - assume heavily regulated) and the topping LA90 (external PS). I cant even get cleaner with SMPS I have here.

I can see why its frowned on posting measurements like the above, its not a fair picture of what the wolverine is capable of. But its a more realistic picture of how the 99% of amps will be used.

Can someone start work on the wolverine of SMPS? Or linear PS even?

Reactions: 1 user
When I put my preamp on top of my poweramp I've get an instant noise increase from the speakers, so my pre is always positioned in a distance from the poweramp. With that in mind, one can only imagine the impact of one or two big toroidals sitting inside a poweramp. I think the solution is an external PSU.
This may decrease noise, but initially we want the PSU as close to the output stages as possible to get the full benefits from a big toroidal without longer wiring???

Joined 2016
Paid Member
PSU as close to the output stages as possible to get the full benefits from a big toroidal
It's not really about the position of your toroidal. Its about the position of your bulk capacitors relative to your amplifier supply rails.

Guy's to be honest your 100% best information source on the subject is Daniel's youtube video. His video wasn't just slapped together in 5 minutes. Careful study of Bonsai wiring bible and months of thought and testing went into the information Daniel supplied. Please check it out again.

Wiring your amplifier

Last edited:
  • Thank You
Reactions: 4 users
Joined 2005
Paid Member
@danieljw

Thanks for sharing your measurement gear - this is truly a testament to this extreme design. You definitely need something dedicated to accurately measure this amp, my QA403 will not do!

Do you mind sharing the details of your 8 ohm load including the fancy resistor complement?

I imagine it will have to be very low in inductance so as to not induce any artificial distortion, my Parts Express 8 ohm sand cast 100 watt block is cowering in the corner.

Best,
Anand.
Hi Anand,

The test load is built with Vishay non inductive 10 Ohm 300W resistors from eBay. It is wired for 2 x 4 Ohm blocks series ~ 8 Ohm or parallel ~ 2 Ohm it is on a 350 mm x 150 mm x 50 mm heatsink. Wired this way to reduce inductance somewhat.

- Dan

Reactions: 1 user