I blocked my Floyd Rose Tremolo

Frankly I couldnt stand it anymore. Breathe on it and the pitch modulates, as in just the finger effort to turn one of the little trim screws changes the pitch as much. Stuck with mushy light gauge strings, pulling against 3 heavy springs, the stupid locking nut that doesnt, the bar that isnt a machine tolerance fit in the socket, wiggles no matter how hard you tighten the cap - no more - "I'm so done with you"!

Glad to read on line you can just do this. One day I'll get a solid tail guitar; this'll have to do till then. Looking at candidates I think "it has springs... nope!"

IMG_0071.JPG

Regarding solid tail, very happy here with a Fender Nashville Telecaster (they have a strat pickup in the middle position and a 5-way switch), made in Mexico. Only problem with the guitar was the tuning machines, which would slip (and had no friction adjustment). Replaced them with better quality drop-in parts and now very happy with the instrument. Picked up a Peterson tuner for it as well. Much better than typical digital tuners; thanks for the tip on that (in another thread).

Last edited:
Picked up a Peterson tuner for it as well. Much better than typical digital tuners; thanks for the tip on that (in another thread).
You're welcome. At the open mic I go to, I'm the only one with one of those... I'm admittedly partial to that tuner style, as I'd made one for a class project in college.

I used the old Mostek MK50240 top octave through a selector switch, driving a CD4024 counter, which drove a 16 output mux with the data pin tied low, so as to sequentially ground 16 LEDs at an in-tune note rate. The LED anodes were all tied together, which I "strobed" with an amplified and clipped signal from the guitar, probably using a dual op-amp.

Because I could only get my hands on a TTL mux, it really ate 9V batteries - but I got the grade I wanted and was the first to show a working prototype in that "electronic instrumentation" class.