Inductor for low pass

Hi all!
It has 2mH iron coil inductor in the crossover of the bass section for my 3 ways speaker.

Normally, an iron coil used in the crossover of the loudspeaker has ABOVE zero DCR.

If I use the Mundorf Feron Core VN (MCOIL VN · FERON ZERO-OHM RESIN SOAKED) range to substitute the existing iron coil inductor that DCR has more than zero, what would happen for the end result?

https://www.mundorf.com/audio/en/shop/Coils/EI_Coils/MCoil_VN/

Thanks!

It depends on filter configuration. Let's suppose that it is a low pass filter, L in series with the signal, and C in shunt at the load's side of L. Thus, the corner frequency is dominated by L and C. The rollover for higher frequencies will be 6 dB/octave and phase angle approach 90 electrical degrees and you have a double pole filter. But when DCR is of the same magnitude as XC, then the phase returns to 45 degrees because of a zero, and rollover is no longuer 6db, it is only 3dB as a single pole. So, at ultimately higher frequencies, the attenuation rate will not be so high as in the immediate vecinity od the cutoff frequency.

So DCR will affect the higher frequencies more than medium ones.

in general, I avoid cored inductors (except for multi laminate iron) for higher power LP filters. They tend to add unpleasant harmonics in the midrange, especially sintered ferrite cores being the worst sounding ones. A decent quality multi laminate iron core inductor will distort much less and remains well behaved until core saturation is approached. This saturation point can be a few hundred watts on larger iron cores with thick gauge windings. Most decent sized ferrite cores will start distorting at relatively low power levels, sometimes as little as 20 watts.

Reactions: 1 users
If yours is a commercial speaker then the DC resistance of the iron cored inductor will have been taken into account by the crossover designer.

In that case, you'd be best to leave the inductor exactly as it is.

And I must emphasise what Osvaldo said, there is no such thing as a "ZERO-OHM" inductor!

An iron core inductor simply has a lower DC resistance than an air core inductor of the same inductance (mH) value.

In any case, supposing that it could be reduced the DCR to zero using liquid nitrogen, the cables, the speaker and the output resistance of the amplifier driving them, results in such a behavior I explained previosly. Over it, if the inductor is iron cored, thus the looses in the core will reflect into the winding, a resistance representing these looses: eddy currents, saturation, and magnetization of the core. So, definitively zero ohm is only a fake sales argument.