• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Iron Schmitt phase inverter - lowest THD seen

Joined 2004
@6A3sUMMER - I said "well above 35kHz", if you do the math it's actually 39.8kHz, even in this surreal scenario...
Just 2 ideas; why would I use a flimsy driver for a difficult output stage and why would I use globak feedback when I don't need it?
Otherwise life sucks, we all agree on this... :)

Reactions: 1 user
Joined 2016
and Dorin Bodea,

Tacoma Narrows bridge (the original one, not the working pair we have now).
Versus:
The aging and working San Francisco Golden Gate Bridge (which went up in the same decade as the original Tacoma Narrows Bridge).

"All engineering solutions are equal, but some engineering solutions are more equal than others." - Me
Stolen and modified, with respectful reference to George Orwell's "Animal Farm".

Of course there are influences on engineering, coming from marketing, bean counters, and city mayors, etc.
Never let it be said that engineers are always the cause of a failed engineering project.

I do enjoy reading and analyzing both of your many posts.
Thanks!

Last edited:
Joined 2004
@6A3sUMMER - Being on the old side of the poll I appreciate an apt philosophy now and then but a little wider cultural reference may help pointing out your view... I mean I know some things about Golden Gate but you probably know about Via Appia as much as I know about Tacoma bridge...

Joined 2004
can't help miself posting these gems issued about 5 years ago here, on this very website :)

1714469625473.png

Joined 2004
@6A3sUMMER - more waves :) ... exactly one of the xfmrs from my previous post, about 5 years ago...

Signal sweep 10Hz-50kHz, 2Vrms, "Iron Schmitt" phase splitter... :) about 30Vrms OUT or 60 between phases