LP12 novice - how does this one look?

I'm completely new to this turntable and have seen this one, and was hoping the diyA wisdom could comment on it:

Grace G-707 tonearm - the weight looks to be rather oddly positioned, is this poorly assembled or broken?

1714505935977.jpeg

Here's the underside

1714505990421.jpeg

Apparently an early one (with a 'weak' motor according to the owner, I would check the motor and convert to my own synthesised generator).

Cheers!

Last edited:
Grace G-707 tonearm - the weight looks to be rather oddly positioned, is this poorly assembled or broken?
Appears to be broken. Not good.

Apparently an early one (with a 'weak' motor according to the owner, I would plan to service the motor and convert to a synthesised generator).
Personally, I would give it a pass and buy a late 80's deck with glued sub-chassis, plinth with corner braces and a Valhalla (or Lingo) power supply. And a not broken arm. :)

jeff

Reactions: 1 user
I don't remember since I had Grace arm an eons ago but isn't the counterweight stub decoupled from main arm with sort of rubber connector? It's worth checking out. The arm is well respected (although I didn't like it that much ) and if bought as "broken " for close to nothing it can pay for the whole deck once fixed. You can "Naim" LP12 with the help of 500W isolation transformer. That's all there is to it. It will sound like LP12 meaning worlds better than any Rega regardless of the price.

Joined 2011
The rear part of the arm is broken, and it appears there was some kind of modification of the decoupling system.
I would not expect it to be repairable. Also the arm bearings could be damaged from the poor handling.

Here is how the counterweight should look.
Post #1 also has the optional weight ring on the counterweight.

Attachments

• GRACE)G-707-II.pdf
    34 KB · Views: 43
Well it's obvious that it's broken but it may be simply fixable if there is a plastic or hard rubber connection which got damaged and it didn't have to happen in the shipping. If there is no significant play in the bearing the arm is likely fine. Anyway , How much 707 is worth these days $150-200 ? Old
LP12 are fetching $800-1600 and prices are climbing