ONKYO T-909 upper freq. limit

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
A friend of mine was lucky to get hold recently of a nice vintage tuner that goes along with his other ONKYO components from the period (such as P-303 etc.).
'Thing is, the tuner is limited to the upper frequency of 103.95MHz. The service manual states the range to be 88.1-107.9 MHz, and even features the table instructing how to set the dip switches for higher frequencies; we tried, but got just an E(rror) notice.
Searching 'round I found forums where people showed it set on e.g. 107.3 or so(!)
Is anyone aware of several versions for different markets or tweaks/hacks that could help?

Last edited:
Tnx ej. What baffles me is that some references actually state the upper limit being 103.95 (contrary to the service manual). Moreover, I've established that in this particular piece the dip switches marking A-J is actually reverse (arranging them according to the manual but using J instead of A etc. produced the expected result).

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
> some references actually state the upper limit being 103.95 (contrary to the service manual).

FM Band, OIRT

"...with the exception of East Germany, which always used the 87.5 to 100 (later 104) MHz broadcast band..."

I would assume that in some countries, FM entertainment was not a priority, and the band would be "better" used for aviation or other purposes. And as a "convenience to listeners", these non-broadcast frequencies would not pick-up on an entertainment radio sold in that market; minor re-padding or reprogramming. Being very limited market, the changes may not have been included in service materials.

Some odd things got left out of manuals. I just saw an aircraft engine where the translated editions missed the part about pre-priming the bearings with 25 strokes on a hand pump. Most of these engines failed soon after takeoff.....

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.