Pearl 3 Burning Amp 2023

A question about the value of the R27. With a resistor value of 750 ohms, I get the values 3.97 mA on one circuit board and 3.74 mA on the other. There is therefore a difference of approximately 0.23 mA between those channels. Are these values good enough or should I match them more closely?

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Measurement taken off single ended output.

Jumper off (high gain)
Switch 1 ON (50 ohm input impedance)
fc 1kHz
Vin 0.328 mVrms
Vout 1.0 Vrms
Gain 69.7 dB
THD < 0.0002 percent mostly second harmonic

Repeated on other channel to be sure.

Screenshot 2024-04-29 at 4.08.22 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-04-29 at 4.30.57 PM.png

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Measurement taken off single ended output.

Jumper off (high gain)
Switch 1 ON (50 ohm input impedance)
fc 1kHz
Vin 0.328 mVrms
Vout 1.0 Vrms
Gain 69.7 dB
THD < 0.0002 percent mostly second harmonic

Repeated on other channel to be sure.

View attachment 1304810

View attachment 1304820

Hello,

Give us a peek at the headroom.

Turn up the input voltage until the harmonics are up out of the noise floor.

If that RTX6001 analyzer has an oscilloscope function turn up the input voltage until we see a little clipping.

Thanks DT

Reactions: 1 user
I haven't decided yet. I'll wait to see how it sounds and decide then how much I want to invest. In any case, I'll almost certainly keep the PSU out of sight; and only have the RIAA on display. I've been using a Salas Simplistic NJFET RIAA that I built around 2016. That's in a Hammond walnut enclosure. If the Pearl 3 is a keeper, I'd consider redoing the Salas enclosure to house the Pearl 3. I'm waiting on a few connectors then the Pearl will be ready to text.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Give us a peek at the headroom.
Of course headroom depends on the jumper and switches settings. I measured with jumper OFF (high gain) and all switches OFF. For these settings clipping starts at just over 3 mV rms (8.6 mV peak-peak) input. Pearl 3 output remains clean (THD < 0.004 percent) until 9.1 Vrms out. Clipping occurs (THD ~ 0.2 percent) at 9.4 Vrms i.e. when the output swing of +/- 13.3V approaches the +/-15V output stage supply rails.

Bottom line, no surprises. Nothing to see here.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users