Transmission line speakers I have never seen before. Need help to figure every thing out

Should I ignore the wires that have been connected together up in the ST/T/M area, I believe there is 16ohm ST/4ohm T and 8ohm mid?

I can't make head nor tail of the bird's nest of wiring up there.

I'd remove from the drivers all wires that don't correspond to the original colour coding on the crossover board.

Then extend each coloured wire on the crossover board to where we think it should go. Test the speaker, but preferably with a spare amplifier.

You will have to ignore the different impedances of the drivers, at least for now.

What should I be listening out for when all is connected?

A well integrated sound. Connecting the mid one way round may sound fine, but the other way may produce a 'suck out' (dip in response) around the mid crossover frequency.

Or perhaps you may not notice a difference at all.

However, what I'd be immediately listening out for is whether each of the drivers is producing sound or not!

Reactions: 1 users
1 observation no, 2 points to mention is on #46 last pic next to the cap is a hole that has underneath a solder blob and nothing is connected to it. I feel something has been changed ther..also as an add on in pic #44 the pink wire is soldered to the bord but has s wire bridge from one to the other side. .on the board above green and brown is the number 16??

Im gonna go for it and connect crossover to speakers. ..

Reactions: 1 user
Im gonna go for it and connect crossover to speakers. ..

It's all you can do under the circumstances. It will be interesting to see if you get all the drivers working or just some.

We don't know what the previous owner was up to in terms of wiring up and possible replacement of certain drivers.

I would work on only one of the speaker pairs at this stage till we see what happens.

P.S. I had spotted the wire link you mention. I trust AllenB also noticed it.

Did you make/add anything for improvements. I've never seen inside the cab. Any suggestions?
No, my uncle made them from plans, even with a nice veneer, and i recall the stuffing was a wonderful pure wool, sort of grey and smelt nice, laid around the sides and on the bottom, not as much as in a sealed box.
I have some 'half isobariks' now with an isobarik crossover, which look similar and have the same type of drivers - so I retain an interest, albeit in a different (isobarik sized) sealed box :D

the stuffing was a wonderful pure wool, sort of grey and smelt nice

Most probably Herdwick long-fibre sheep wool.

1715714316934.png

It's not baa-d stuff if ewe ask me! :D

Thsy sound great even being so close together and me not no more than 2 meters away. Sound stage is wide and quite roomy/deep. I haven't pit my cones under them yet so I was expecting bass to be boomy but no it was in control. The mids well "whaw" vocals and guitars sing and have that presence of emotion. I listened to lenny kravitz "sister" and led zep "since I've been loving you"

Attachments

• IMG_20240514_231127.jpg
    IMG_20240514_231127.jpg
    399.4 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_20240514_231735.jpg
    IMG_20240514_231735.jpg
    374.8 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_20240514_231127.jpg
    IMG_20240514_231127.jpg
    399.4 KB · Views: 30