Would a JBL E-130 work?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Before I've finished my first tube-amp, a friend of mine asked me if I could help him with a bass-amp for him. He plays bass in a pop-band, but also plays a lot of funk and slap. He made it clear from the start that it must be a tube-amp. About the speaker... I wan't to build something un-orthodox. It must have good (preferably insane) sensitivity. I'm planning to build a push-pull KT88-amp with one pair that should be able to deliver 30-50W. That's why I was looking at the E-130 with an amazing 105dB. The problem is that the E-130 is in no way a bass-speaker. It's a midrange on steroids. But since I won't put in more than a few watts, do you think it would work?

Should I use a sealed, or vented box? I was thinking a sealed box with a pair of E-130.

AS I recall from my deep dark past as a bass player there is a dedicated bass verion of the JBL 130, look or the JBL D or E series 140. But as far as it goes Cerwin-Vega and Eminence also make some very nice and very efficient Bass drivers. I also seem to remember some very interesting speaker box plans in Speaker Builder Magazine. Back issues are hopefully still available through Old Colony Sound Lab.

EKG said:
AS I recall from my deep dark past as a bass player there is a dedicated bass verion of the JBL 130, look or the JBL D or E series 140. But as far as it goes Cerwin-Vega and Eminence also make some very nice and very efficient Bass drivers. I also seem to remember some very interesting speaker box plans in Speaker Builder Magazine. Back issues are hopefully still available through Old Colony Sound Lab.

Thanxx :cheerful:

I'll check it out

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.