Zaph ZRT 2.5 sealed opinions?

Modelled response from Zaph's site does not give much incentive to invest further in order to try 2 way:

1702113936502.png

But I guess I could return two of the bass drivers since they are pretty much useless and save some money. Even the tiny DXT-MON does not start to roll off below 100Hz like ZRT does.

1702114417319.png

Last edited:
Yes, mids are great on ZRT, but also on ZD5. I will keep them both for now. It would be a shame to dismantle ZRT, they are good speakers, just not for me. I will sell them later on as is. I will now start building DXT-MON-128 and compare all three of them when I am done. DXT-MON-128 seems to reach lower even than Ekta Grande according to respective measurements.

Here's the comparison between ZD5 and B&W. Don't be confused by the size of ZD5 - it's actually 14l internal, ported. Lower compartment is closed off and used for crossover storage which takes substantial amount of space.

Last edited:
I just re-read your post. So you built the ZRT 2.5way as sealed? If so - did you go with the 38L internal volume?

Here are the responses for red = 90L, Fb 30Hz, green = 65L FB 30Hz (Zaph's recommendation for vented) and grey= 38L sealed.

For sealed - the F3 ~ 53Hz which is definitely not low enough.

1702245054649.png

You can do the same on a single woofer as well. As stated any "curve" you are wanting to achieve on 8 woofers can be done with a single woofer (LT, large value series cap etc...) - just at the expense of max SPL (fully dependent on the headroom the OP wants). My point is more woofers doesn't just give you more bass extension. More headroom, sure.

I'd definitely like to hear the DXT-MON. I think a much shorter video is enough, maybe put the speaker playing up on the screen to make it easier, or insert chapter headings, let each speaker play about 30-60 seconds at a time. Like those "versus" speaker demo comparison vids do.

It's my mistake, or more like a several of them. I assumed that bigger volume will lead to deeper low end which is apparently not always true. I did not look at the graphs closely enough, and I wrongly assumed that two sealed 18W revelators will go deeper than single ported 15W. Porting ZRT didn't help either. I am expecting DXT-MON-182 to do much better in low end, but the voices in ZRT will be tough to beat.

I didn't expect video recordings to produce any usable result tbh so didn't want to spend too much time on it. I mean, it has to go through iphone mic and to be encoded/compressed into god-knows-what and then again processed by youtube. But it does provide some insight, at least it's stereo :)

And now the finals, ZD5 vs ZRT:

No - if you fix any variable including box volume, then the response will alter. My point is if you design a vented enclosure for 1 woofer at say 30L at a fixed tuning. 2 woofers for the same Fb (which will require ~ double the box volume) will achieve the same bass extension - albeit higher output.

It's my mistake, or more like a several of them. I assumed that bigger volume will lead to deeper low end which is apparently not always true. I did not look at the graphs closely enough, and I wrongly assumed that two sealed 18W revelators will go deeper than single ported 15W. Porting ZRT didn't help either. I am expecting DXT-MON-182 to do much better in low end, but the voices in ZRT will be tough to beat.

I didn't expect video recordings to produce any usable result tbh so didn't want to spend too much time on it. I mean, it has to go through iphone mic and to be encoded/compressed into god-knows-what and then again processed by youtube. But it does provide some insight, at least it's stereo :)

And now the finals, ZD5 vs ZRT:
I'd wager there's something going on in the ZD5 to give more apparent bass. Maybe a resonance or midbass peak? without measurements its all speculation. I haven't listened to your final video through my stereo yet (no point through my laptop speakers :). The ZRT should in theory extend further based on the modeling I provided. I wonder if the bass is simply drier / leaner / with less distortion? Ported at 65L should give great extension. Even better at 90L (EBS).

Porting ZRT didn't help either.
Scratch that, porting DID help - plugged the vents and the low end was gone. Without the vent, it's just pathetic compared to ZD5. It now goes at least as low as ZD5 and I don't hear any downsides elsewhere. It's tuned currently at 38Hz. Just a note - ZD5 is also ported at 38Hz in a 14L box which was supposed to be sealed.

Last edited:
No - if you fix any variable including box volume, then the response will alter. My point is if you design a vented enclosure for 1 woofer at say 30L at a fixed tuning. 2 woofers for the same Fb (which will require ~ double the box volume) will achieve the same bass extension - albeit higher output.
Right, my point is that the enclosure volume he already has is a good alignment for 1 woofer (but not great for 2 woofers if it's vented).

Reactions: 1 users