At last, some hope for tinnitus and hearing loss sufferers?

Yes, prevention.

A release of free zinc in the inner ear after being exposed to loud noise is being blamed for noise-induced hearing damage.

In the future, we may be able to pop a zinc trapping pill before attending a heavy metal concert!

Apparently, "chelation" involves using a compound to trap the free zinc which is ultimately removed from your body through your pee.

As I sit here listening to a few shades of narrowband white noise that been my "floor" for some time now, I assume my cochlear is beyond repair. Right ear is worse. Somehow I feel its too late to mop up some Zinc molecules in there... Nice cure if you can get it (in time)!

Reactions: 1 user
Mostly prevention, but also a possibility for curing

The claim that "trapping excess zinc can help restore lost hearing" is mentioned only once and is not in accord with the information within the body of the press release which is very much related to prevention.

I believe that claim has been made erroneously.

The actual scientific paper is said to be listed in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences and is titled: "Cochlear zinc signaling dysregulation is associated with noise-induced hearing loss, and zinc chelation enhances cochlear recovery".

Unfortunately, links to the paper from the various press releases are not working, and I have yet to find it in the Academy listings: https://www.pnas.org/latest

Yes indeed, I read that most adults require 8 mg (women) to 11 mg (men) of zinc per day in order to stay healthy.

The hearing damage problem seems to lie with "free zinc", and that term is not fully explained in the press release.

However, I read elsewhere that zinc serves as a signalling molecule in several biological systems, and that an elevated level of "cytoplasmic free zinc" is associated with toxic signalling mechanisms.

Joined 2019
Paid Member
No-one knows for sure about a lot of the metabolic signalling or what drives it. It sounds like there may be good correlation between free zinc levels and some tinnitus. But I'm sure there are plenty of causes of tinnitus unrelated to zinc. Cautious optimism just because someone got funding for the study...

I don't know about if zinc is a factor in my tinnitus, but I am absolutely sure that unprotected impulse sounds (3 gun shots 40 years ago) started the problem, and then playing 100 watt guitar amps for years in close quarters made sure the problem lasted forever and is getting worse. It's no fun.

and that an elevated level of "cytoplasmic free zinc" is associated with toxic signalling mechanisms.
Most oligo-elements are required in small doses, and become toxic for higher doses. The first example that comes to mind is copper: it is indispensable for the liver function, but it is nastily poisonous when taken at higher doses. It was used as such in the antiquity, and the French court, during the reign of Louis the XIV amongst others

"Lenire pairs tongue and sound stimulation to help you pay less attention to tinnitus." $3800 for a 12 week at home twice daily to train yourself to, er, "pay less attention to" it. That's what it says.

So, is it gone or are you just less acutely aware of it after treatment. Does it matter?