C0G/NP0 Parallel-Capacitor-Board

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
I exchanged a C0G for a styroflex cap of 1,5nF doing duty as a LPF on a DAM DAC. I can swear it was a very big difference with the new cap. But I did not measure and I'm very well aware of the await-factor. Still... Wish I had the guts to try do do a DBT on it.

Might I be right? If so, what could the reason be?

//

Not knowing if other PE caps suffer the same fate, it looks like that cap might have some damage.

I also thought it interesting that Mr Hoffman was expecting the Teflon cap to be perfect: while Teflon itself is a fantastic dielectric, assembling it in a cap highlights some of the mechanical weaknesses of Teflon film, so tension is less and is more likely to have defects. There's more than meets the eye going from bulk properties to an assembled part.

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
"Very big difference" when changing from one good cap to another good cap at a signal level of a few volts is astonishingly unlikely. 'Tiny difference difficult to discern' might be more believable. Assuming, of course, that neither cap was faulty and they had exactly the same capacitance value.

Yes. My only comment here is that it's really hard to know what one person would call minor/tiny could very well be seen as dramatic by another.

//

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.