Caladan by Clayton Shaw DIY

I really doubt the Dayton tweeter is capable of that without having significant distortion down low at the crossover point. I would personally use a deep waveguide to obtain that waveguide gain to push the distortion lower. Augerpro has an 8 inch waveguide for this specific tweeter which can also help time align to the woofers as well.

IMG_7292.jpeg

Joined 2005
Paid Member
can you think of any commercial design doing that?
The Emerald Physics CS2 comes with d220ti with active crossover set to 1k 48/LR.
simply lowering a d220ti from 1500 to 1200 LR2 on a jbl pt (using a dsp) significantly increased the number of broken diaphragms.
You must listen LOUD.

I haven't had to replace my d220ti diaphragms in my EP CS2......ever.

Last edited:
Inspired by New Record Day video about the Caladan by Clayton Shaw, I decided to do it DYI since shipping costs to Japan are ridiculous (and no international deliveries at the moment provided). My MiniDSP serves as an active crossover for two ICEPower 125ASX2 amplifiers. They sound amazing, using a Linkwitz-Riley filter 48db at 1kHz and some gain in the low end, Never thought open baffle speaker can have such a lot of low end, while the speaker membrane is barely moving. The speaker disapear and you feel like in a live concert. This works also for my music with distorted guitars, not only for the high end demo music. Bass guitars sound so real. This is the first day listening to them after waiting 3months for the delivery of the 12inch speaker drivers....I guess no burn in needed. Clayton Shaw chose the perfect drivers..... View attachment 1270953
Have you inverted the polarity on the tweeters like in the picture?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-05-31 at 6.34.47 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-05-31 at 6.34.47 PM.png
    122.6 KB · Views: 19
I have completed mine. After about 200 hours burn-in I try them and don't sound that good. For that reason I was trying to use a mini DSP 2x4 HD. Any suggestions?
Where to start…..we’ll for one, you‘ll have to do a hybrid with the DSP.…..the lower woofer will need to be rolled off around 200hz as in a .5 way design with a single coil……4.5mh air core should do it

Add a low pass in the DSP for the woofers with a 1khz target 2nd order….same for the tweeter high passed. Listen with the tweeter wired both in and out of phase.

This will get you in the ballpark but i‘d get a USB measuring mic to tweak it the rest o the way

On a side note, ESS has the Heil AMT on sale for $250 for a pair…..that would be a really great tweeter to cross with the Beyma OB as the tweeter is also a dipole and can be crossed as low as Beyma needs to be…..that 1khz spec from the Caladan design is really too low for the Dayton dome to handle. You’d have to rework the baffle but considering you have. The woofers and the DSP?…..adding the Heil tweeters would be one hell of a speaker.

To Bunkbail: I used this XO published by "Ehyfatboy" in this thread. I did measured it and everything was terrible. So I connected the Mini DSP, run measurements, run full Dirac and got a lot better as per my ears and with the calibrated microphone. But not as good as I was expected based on the reviews.

Attachments

• Cal-xover5.jpg
    Cal-xover5.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 8
Where to start…..we’ll for one, you‘ll have to do a hybrid with the DSP.…..the lower woofer will need to be rolled off around 200hz as in a .5 way design with a single coil……4.5mh air core should do it

Add a low pass in the DSP for the woofers with a 1khz target 2nd order….same for the tweeter high passed. Listen with the tweeter wired both in and out of phase.

This will get you in the ballpark but i‘d get a USB measuring mic to tweak it the rest o the way

On a side note, ESS has the Heil AMT on sale for $250 for a pair…..that would be a really great tweeter to cross with the Beyma OB as the tweeter is also a dipole and can be crossed as low as Beyma needs to be…..that 1khz spec from the Caladan design is really too low for the Dayton dome to handle. You’d have to rework the baffle but considering you have. The woofers and the DSP?…..adding the Heil tweeters would be one hell of a speaker.
Thank you so much for your reply and the valuable advice. I'll try to follow your suggestions regarding the woofers and modifying the crossover.

I was also thinking about the tweeter, which I'm not happy with. Yesterday I ordered the GRS PT6825-8 8" planar Mid/Tweeter 8 ohm. They were $60 each. I checked the ESS this morning and they were $250 EACH! I'm going to play with the GRS tweeters when I get them in a few days, depending how it works, I might later purchase the Heil AMTs.

I used this XO.

1717251466084.jpeg

Reactions: 1 user