Gardens

I lay down a ground attack @Galu.

I retaliate with a shrub attack @system7.

1687649924209.png

P.S. When I was a boy we had a Woolworths tree.

Branches everywhere!

Last edited:
Neurochrome.com
Joined 2009
Paid Member
I'm taking the scorched earth approach. The previous owner tried to maintain a garden but didn't want to spend on plants. So the dandelions, creeping bellflower, etc. took over. I borrowed a rototiller from a friend and now they're fertilizer.

My plan is to have a cedar deck, a fireplace area by the garage, and possible a flowerbed with rhododendron in the other corner. The deck will go to where the stakes are.

Yard.jpg

Tom

Reactions: 1 user
Joined 2022
Paid Member
Just need to persuade some foxes in to eat the bunnies.
No friends with Shiba Inu dogs? They love to kill rabbits.
Hawks and owls do it for me, but we also have raised beds here for wife preference reasons.

Tiny Electric Fence net?

A certain 3yo and 4yo do much more damage - the adults haven't had carrots, blueberries, cherry tomatoes for two years (there are generally - but not always - enough strawberries, beans, peppers, onions, radishes, and large tomatoes to still get some here and there).

Hmm, I just realized I could try raising the deer netting around the blackberries to let the rabbits in there and let me keep the fence line tidy easier. Not sure they would do much to keep the grass down and not crop the new canes, but worth trying in a bed for a year.

I have a serious cotton rat problem, as in the greedy little bastards lop plants off at the bottom to see if the top tastes good. We live within a beachside nature preserve, the discharge of a firearm is illegal…….and all the Karens here are ready to drop a dime on you if you do! (Ask me how I know:cautious:)

I tried rat traps baited with cottonseed meal (what else would a cotton rat desire?) and eliminated over 60 of them last year (prolific breeders) but at the expense of several toads and two towhees (local ground feeding songbird) :(. Poison is out of the question with many pets roaming around, so after a quick check and a verification call to the local sheriffs department I find that Florida does not consider pellet/air rifles a firearm……ffwd to a couple weeks ago when my new Benjamin trail np xl 1100 .22 caliber one pump break barrel shows up on the big brown truck. This thing is as powerful as .22 rimfire and makes almost no noise doing it (the pellet hitting the target makes more noise) its as accurate @ 100 feet as any rifle I own. (See target @100’ , rat effigy is to scale)
Highly recommended for those in tight residential areas with firearm regulations (check locally if airguns are allowed in your area) It would dispatch a rabbit no problem. Still need to treat it as a firearm though, it could do damage if used recklessly.

edit; I’ll bet ‘ol sir carlos sniffalot keeps the vermin at bay!

Attachments

• 196B05FB-BF3E-473F-9299-DCAD05F3395B.png
    196B05FB-BF3E-473F-9299-DCAD05F3395B.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 66
  • D8B50DA4-45B8-4CC9-A5CD-7A1D170E15DC.png
    D8B50DA4-45B8-4CC9-A5CD-7A1D170E15DC.png
    6.8 MB · Views: 59
Last edited:
In Canada air guns above a certain Feet per Second are classified as firearms and an appropriate license is required. Check your country's rules before buying one.

Canada. Air guns with both a muzzle velocity greater than 152.4 meters per second (500 feet per second) and a muzzle energy greater than 5.7 joules (4.2 foot-pounds) are firearms for purposes of both the Firearms Act and the Criminal Code.

Yah it probably won’t be long before we have the same regulations here.

there are some serious large caliber air rifles being made these days that are as powerful as centerfire rifles and here in the US treated just the same as buying a daisy red rider BB gun when purchasing them………. :oops:

Edit: it just dawned on me that this subject may be offensive to some, if so I apologize …….mods erase if necessary.

Last edited:
Joined 2022
Paid Member
PXL_20230506_172252979.jpg
PXL_20230506_172344657.jpg
1687720405981.png

PXL_20230506_172331538.jpg
PXL_20230506_172406338.jpg
PXL_20230506_172450781.jpg

new Benjamin trail np xl 1100 .22 caliber one pump break barrel
Did you consider PCP models? I have a Dana break-barrel .177 for target practice. Always wanted a pre-charge pneumatic (PCP), though not enough to invest in a SCUBA compressor. Although yours seems to be a little more powerful than most entry PCP. So interested in your impression in about 6-months, I might change my mind.

Jeff, was out for a stroll along Beach Drive this morning and after wandering back from the Euro Car and Coffee show at the Oak Bay Marina, we saw a pair of young bucks descending the staircase to shoreline at the little beach between Queen’s and Haynes Park. Never seen deer drink salt water before; hope it doesn’t give them an upset tummy;).
Since adding a couple of gates and heavy plastic mesh along the west side of the yard, there’s been less destruction to the back yard hostas, but they still love to graze on the (semi sacrificial) front yard Japanese maples and ferns.

System7, there’s a wonderful exhibit (Beyond Van Gogh) in town for the next few months showcasing Vincent’s work in a very novel manor. Thanks to very well executed AI, some of them were brought to life - blinking eyes on portraits, waves rippling, and tree blossom petals cascading like a blizzard - all projected by overhead lasers onto the walls and floor. Quite immersive.

Attachments

• 6a1d119c-168f-4358-8a9e-016a80b6fb6a.jpeg
    6a1d119c-168f-4358-8a9e-016a80b6fb6a.jpeg
    105.8 KB · Views: 60
  • 596e12bb-b23c-4cc2-9eb7-bacbcf9792a9.jpeg
    596e12bb-b23c-4cc2-9eb7-bacbcf9792a9.jpeg
    157 KB · Views: 60
  • 05dedb43-61bd-40c8-9bff-804334f90285.jpeg
    05dedb43-61bd-40c8-9bff-804334f90285.jpeg
    46.8 KB · Views: 58
  • FullSizeRender.jpeg
    FullSizeRender.jpeg
    842.2 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
Everything from an absolutely mint little Morris Minor woody “estate wagon”, through Jag XJE, a plethora of Porsches from 356s to current 911s and Speedsters, several Lambos, Ferraris, and an exquisitely shiny orange McLaren - don’t ask the model. All opened up for viewing and fondling by invited members of the club.
Let’s just say that the combination of several certain models could well cost more than my current home’s appraised values.
To those readers not familiar with Victoria real estate, that’d be in the just under $2M neighbourhood- but that’d be a whole ‘nother thread, very likely to get shut down pretty quickly.

No Rolls Boattail, thougho_O