magnified lamp: recommendation?

Love mine, great for the aging eyes when trying to solder circuit boards.
I have not found magnification over 10X being useful for that type of application, even a 3X is a huge improvement.
Go above 10X and it is difficult to synchronize your small hand movements against what your eyes see through that massive lens.
The LED lighting is effective. Mine has something like 6 steps, which just switches on more of the string. USB driven.

There are two kinds of lamps: CFL and LED. In case of the CFL, the tube is circular in shape and could be difficult to obtain if gone. However, if the electronics ballast blows, it could simply be replaced with one from a reputed company like Philips.

Not sure about the CRI of LED lamps.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
I've tried several ones but was never happy with them. In the end I started using the OptiVISOR's and absolutely love them. You can get them in a wide range of powers and they have clip on lights available. Best of all (for me) is that I retain stereo vision and depth perception with them. Just make sure you get the genuine ones made by Donegan and not knock-offs.

Neurochrome.com
Joined 2009
Paid Member
I would consider a microscope rather than a magnifying lamp. We had both in the lab at TI where I used to work. I found the magnifying lamp awkward to work with because you have to get good alignment between you, the lamp, and the workpiece in order to be able to see. I much preferred to work under the microscope (3.5-4x magnification if I recall correctly).

If you do get a microscope, get a stereo/binocular microscope. With binocular vision you get depth perception, which you won't have with a monocular one. Note that most digital microscopes are monocular. Also, if you do go that route, a dissecting microscope is what you want. AmScope has a bunch: https://amscope.com/

The magnifying hoods can be good too. I used one in grad school that was just a basic fresnel lens. That worked alright, though these days I'd want more magnification for SMD work.

Tom

I've been using an Optivisor for a few years now, and it has changed my life. I like the ability to aim my bench lights where I need them, independent of where my eyes are positioned. Certain operations are best when the light is from the side(s). Highly recommended, and it works great with my prescription glasses. Just flip up the Optivisor to resume normal vision.

Reactions: 1 user
This is what I use
1715103119837.jpeg

Whatever you get, make sure it uses glass and not plastic lenses.
I have the Donegan Optivisor with the mag loupe option. With Opivisor you can get different magnification options. I have three different lenses but generally stick to the DA-3 (1.75X) lens most of the time. Keep in mind, that when you go up in magnification you will decrease the focal length.

Reactions: 1 users
Ex-Moderator
Joined 2003
I'll fourth the Optivisor. I wasted a lot of money buying a magnifying lamp and fitting it to my bench. It has a circular fluorescent tube with a decent CRI (Colour Rendering Index) but it's too awkward to use (and it gets in the way when not being used). The Optivisor (DA3) is way better. LED lamps have much poorer CRI, but that doesn't seem to bother me for detailed lighting. For general lighting, you do want a high CRI (90) to be able to read resistor colour codes. Microscopes want a ring light fitting to them and LEDs are fine there.

Neurochrome.com
Joined 2009
Paid Member
The issue with the magnifying lamps (IMO) is not the light. It's the magnifier. You have to get the alignment between it, you, and the workpiece just so in order for it to be useful. With a magnifying hood all you have to do is to turn your head and look. With the microscope, you also need proper alignment, but the microscope sets that up nicely.

Tom

Joined 2019
Paid Member
^ Depending on what's practical for you and your optometrist / ophthalmologist / tech ... they can perhaps make up a set (or various sets) of lenses for you with the prescription / correction you may need (if necessary) along with a focal length/diopter of choice (within reason). DOF / FOV and working distance can also be discussed.

Perhaps a few pairs for different work types could be cheaper and possibly equally effective as a quality set of loupes. A side benefit may be the insurance could possibly cover them.

I looked at dental / surgical loupes also... $$$

Joined 2004
Paid Member
The dental optics are called telescopes. I got a set and had lenses made to match my prescription. They work pretty well but are heavy and not so comfortable. And they take some time to acclimate to. But you do get a good close view from a distance. Not cheap even on eBay ($300++). Don't buy the cheap ones, unless you need them for a gargoyl costume. . .