Matching Drivers of different Impedance

Hi all,

thanks for all the assistance as always and apologies in advance if this is a silly/basic question.

I’m hoping for some assistance in matching two drivers of different impedance, a JBL 2446h (8ohm) and 2447j (16ohm). I had initially thought I could run these off two different channels of an amp as I understand that the two channels can work as separate amplifiers but is this a valid approach?
If so I guess I could use an xlr splitter cable from my x-over to achieve this but does anyone foresee any issues with proceeding like this?
Im struggling to find a matching 2446 or even similar 2” driver at 8ohm which is why I’ve been pushed to use this approach (my horns are designed for the 2446 so will be making my own adapter for the 2447).

If anyone has any suggestions / alternative options that I could explore I’m all ears!

Thanks,
Lawrence

Lawrence,

If you are running the two horns stereo, reducing the level of the amp driving the 8 ohm driver by around -3dB to compensate for the impedance difference is no problem.

That said, as well as the different impedances, the drivers will have slightly different frequency response, equalization would be required to make them to sound the same.

Using an XLR splitter or "Y" cable would send a mono signal to both amp channels.
The issue with two separate horns and drivers run mono is comb filtering (peaks and dips in response) at any listening position not equidistant between the two horns, using a single horn/driver sounds better.

Thanks, appreciate the response - yeah I’d like to find a second 2446 when possible so will keep an eye out if any pop up.

In the meantime I’ll try the stereo option you mention , I’m using the behringer cx2310 x-over which should allow stereo 2 way but it’s not particularly clear how I’d set this up.. The manual just says enable 2 way then shows a single output for high and single for low so how does this then split into the two different channels of the amp L/R?

Again sorry if this is quite basic - I was quite happy and comfortable running a single stack in mono this definitely feels like it takes a fair bit more understanding to get the two running together!

Manual-
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/lit_files/84882.pdf

I’m using the behringer cx2310 x-over which should allow stereo 2 way but it’s not particularly clear how I’d set this up.. The manual just says enable 2 way then shows a single output for high and single for low so how does this then split into the two different channels of the amp L/R?
It's a stereo crossover with 2 separate channels, each of those has an input and high and low outputs.