Need help for enclosure - Eminence Alpha 4-8 as surrounds and heights

Hi all!

So I just purchased a new denon 6700h. I will be upgrading from a 5.1 setup using a denon 1600h.

The denon 6700h as 11 channel. I plan on going with Auro3d speaker placement (or the placement that you can use for atmos, Auro3d and dts x)

I plan on using the Auro3d speaker placement. (Or the one that you can use atmos, Auro3d and dts-x)

Currently I have CSS Audio Criton as my left, center and right and paradigm ADP-190. I really love the adp-190 because as my couch is right on the back wall, the adp-190 diffuse more the sound behind us instead of screaming in our ears.

I’m the next couple of months, we will be moving.

I need to build 6 speaker. + 2 to be replacing the adp-190, as I’ve heard there not very good for surround when having the correct distance between you and the speaker, which I will have in my next set up.

So, I started talking to a friend of mine, and he ended up giving me 7 eminence alpha 4-8, and 2 in ceiling mica 8 inch. (I already have 4 other mica bought a couple years ago and ended up never using installing them.

My question are:

1- would I be better to build boxes for the mica and to use as my surround and heights? Can’t remember where, but I’ve read that it’s not a good thing and in ceiling speaker are not meant to have a box.

2- if building for emicence alpha 4, there’s 3 option I’m thinking.

2.1- building a regular, prism, sodden box.

2.2- going with the sonotube / 3D printed angled bracket.

(https://www.avsforum.com/threads/diy-cylindrical-angled-atmos-speaker-enclosures.3255712/)

(https://www.avsforum.com/threads/cr...rsl-c32e-in-ceiling-speakers.3293578/#replies)

2.3-

Speaking with my friend about the sonotube version, and that it’s not a good thing having a cylindrical (circle) baffle has it has lots of diffraction. So I suggested I could 3d print a half-sphere to go over and install the driver. Then he suggested that I print a bower will in shape:

IMG_1555.jpeg

So with the proved eminence drawing tonight I tried to model the 3d printed “bower wilking” enclosure.

Surrounds v3-1.jpeg
Surrounds v3-2.png
Surrounds v3-3.png

(Since those pictures, I rounded the corner inside the speaker, back wall and port)

Volume and port diameter and length is provided by eminence.
(https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0270/8665/1462/files/Alpha_4_8_cab.pdf)
See page 10

I want the build to be “quick” . I don’t want to spent all my free time making boxes for those speaker, but I want the best sound possible. Going 3D printed route would allow me to start the printer and do other things. When all pieces are done printing, I could glue them, install driver and binding post and call it a day. When I have more free time, I could sand them and paint them.

If going wooden box, I feel like I would need to spend “a lot” of time doing cuts and assembling, also, I could not finish the box, but I feel like they would be uglier unfinished mdf box and 3d prints.

What you guys think?

What about the bower will in shape?

Let’s talk!

I’ll add pictures after posting, the website on my cell phone doesn’t let me upload picture?

Well, I dont think the 3d printing project will go through.
I've run it quickly in my slicer program, and for only 2 part out of 8, it requires 18hr of print and at least 2 kg of plastic for all the parts. for ONE enclosure!

ill make wooden box!

it was a fun practice for 3d modeling tho!

Reactions: 1 user