• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

New idea: RE084 drives RS282

Here are the parameters. Thoughts?
OK but it is not even 9.1K because it is for 9 ohm secondary load?
the impedance square ratio is 9100 / 9 = 1011
So with 8 R load it will be about 8090 R @ anode load
and with 7 R it will be 7080 R @ anode...
Anyway the slope will be slightly different, little bit more power but also more THD :(
800-0-800 with 48R DCR for each secondary???
The same Q for the power transformer - is it 2 x 800Vac with C.T (1600Vac)
Please also write the values of power chokes L and Rdc
Is these values like on the PSUD schemais of power supply?
Thanks

Joined 2004
Paid Member
I asked it, because each tube rectifier requires definite RDC for given current, so series resistance (on each anode) may be necessary (must to calculate its value).

BTW, Pat you want to use 866 as rectifier?
I use mercury vapour rectifiers, using them is not an easy thing.
Preheating requires for MV heaters, even few minute heating before the main PT (HV secondary) turn on.

For given PS value of 887V, this is some simple configuration as example.
This is also could be used with existing transformer (one with 250Hy) load to 20B. But ONLY
1. IF it is capable for 35-40mA DC current trough primary.
2. In the configuration as Primary load to 20B anode, secondary just correcting the Load slope... NOT as interstage.
The main disadvantage in this configuration is huge dissipation at Rload to 20B. The same will be with almost any other topology
Because huge voltage drop is needed. For R Load to be warm and not to bring huge additional heat to the chasses and internal elements, 4 times of actual dissipation is the goal. And that is about 80W... :(
Other way is to use very useful power transformer to supply additionally 20B or other input tube.
BUT that will employ minimum 2 additional chokes in PS, and 3-4 capacitors. And of course it is not small space to add and organize at the present classes.
Anyway the amp will export about 7W, with 2Vrms input, with present OT. At the input of RS282 will be about 80Vp-p
so there will be little room for 10Vp-p more for not to exceed -45V of Ug and to stay in negative region of -Ug values. With a bit more power and more distortion... For sims I used the OT transformers datas from the topic.
20B_RS282.jpg

20Hz_Dyn_load.jpg

20KHz_Dyn_load.jpg

If I can ask why it is Vb power supply voltage restricted for 887V?
Because max voltage values of PS capacitors?
Present power transformer can give a more Vb voltage with 866 rectifiers.
With all the same LC elements.
Just with different first C after the rectifiers, C1.
I checked Voltave peak +DC will be 1200V so the rated value of that C1 should be 1500V (1200V minimum)

PSUD2_rs282_01.png

Joined 2004
Paid Member
IMO if on the first capacitor the peek voltage is over 1100V, I wouldn't use 1200V capacitor, rather 1600-2000V would be appropriate.
Stacked 2u2/750...1000V capacitors also feasible (with 800V tolerant 150-200k compensative parallel resistors).

Reactions: 1 user
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Pat,

Are you sure, that this PSU designed for power stage (and it is not made for a preamplifier)?

cLCLC type PSU (with these large choke values) has very high PSRR, but its impulse recovery is very worse.
Rather used with practically constant load current than large variable one.
Banpuku RS282 PSU SQ stress.jpg

If you use first cLC for power stage, and another parts for driver, the recovery time will be about 300ms, which is enough good.
BTW I suggest to omit second choke. Absolutely unnecessary strive to reach few mVpp hum.
Banpuku RS282 PSU_2 SQ stress.jpg
Cons, that simple cLC (even so doubling second capacitor value) gives higher hum on B++.
If you raise first capacitor value (doubling), the hum would be acceptable ... and the B++ voltage will be higher too, which is better for RS828.
Banpuku RS282 PSU_3 SQ stress.jpg

Reactions: 1 user