Phono preamp kit to complement my DIY LM3886 and First Watt?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I would rather have a new planar1 or 2 than any of the old p2 or p3 tables.

I would think a used p5 or rp6 would be about equal to the new planar 3. But you don’t get a brand new cartridge with a used table...at today’s current prices (used turntables have really gotten more expensive in the last few years) the new tables kind of make sense. I bought a used Rega P5 about 5 years ago for $400. And a used thorens td145 for $100. You don’t see that anymore.

Honestly, my opinion is unless you want to spend about $1k on a turntable setup you are better off sticking with digital. Unless you have a large existing record collection.

I would rather have a new planar1 or 2 than any of the old p2 or p3 tables.

I would think a used p5 or rp6 would be about equal to the new planar 3. But you don’t get a brand new cartridge with a used table...at today’s current prices (used turntables have really gotten more expensive in the last few years) the new tables kind of make sense. I bought a used Rega P5 about 5 years ago for $400. And a used thorens td145 for $100. You don’t see that anymore.

Honestly, my opinion is unless you want to spend about $1k on a turntable setup you are better off sticking with digital. Unless you have a large existing record collection.

Thing is I hear BIG differences in sound quality in digital vs. my cheap Technics turntable ($25 flea market) and BBE phono preamp ($50). I notice many records sound incredibly better than the digital copies I have. I have a decent dac and the files are lossless. E.g. Bob Marley Lengends LP sounds Amazing.. better than CD in my opinion! Edie Brickell's Shooting Rubberbands album sounds a lot better than the lossless CD Audio rip. Etc.

Maybe I should grab the new Planar 3. WOuld be cool if I could buy a used one for like $850 in mint shape. I always hate losing money due to instant deprecation : )

Last edited:
I think there are many, many cartridges better than yours. Including the one that comes with the rega.

You could use your existing cartridge while saving for something better of course. Just know that you will not be getting 100% of what the deck is capable of and don’t be surprised if it’s not that much better than your technics.

The beauty of the rega carts is they require no mounting adjustment, they are locked in with 3 bolts from the factory. A non rega cart will require a spacer and some adjustment. I use an ortofon, it’s not a big deal but the rega carts are designed specifically for rega tables.

Perhaps this is a better deal? Especially if they accept a lower offer:

Current Rega Planar 3 Audiophile High Turntable Elys2 Cartridge RB330 Arm demo | eBay

I so want to pull the trigger on a Rega Planar 3 with the elys cartridge. Would be cool if I could find one for like $700.

I have never in my life had a good turntable.. would just love to hear how my vinyl sounds with one, with my lm3886 and first watt setup.

Then I'll build the salas preamp for it I suppose.

Hi Jennifer,

You have not stated if you want a phono section to build or buy already assembled.
If you want to build one, the Doug Self designs are good quality imo. Elektor has pre-amp 2012, pcbs are available from Eurocircuits iirc.
I have attached a pic of the stuffed pcb from Elektor 05-2012.

Attachments

• UK2012-050281_phono_pcb.pdf
    241.9 KB · Views: 66
Sorry, I kind of turned my phono preamp thread into a turntable thread :) I am interested in building one. I think I've been convinced I should probably go with a Salas. I just hope when I finally get everything together and figure out what to order I am not too late for the Salas group buy :). I want the full kit.. like everything.

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Tea-Bag can supply a lot of the stuff, but probably not everything. Still, it's worth asking him.

The Salas is an incredibly good phonostage. You'll never need to build another, seriously.

Having been a happy Rega user for more than a decade I now can wholeheartedly suggest you get something else. I'm not a fan of belt drive anymore at all. Rega makes excellent arms, the rest is, well, not anywhere nearly as good as the arms.

Regas are super popular and they are not bad, they make a decent table overall. I will, however, strongly suggest that you avoid, at all costs, Rega cartridges.

But that's not the real subject at hand. The Salas is amazing, build it. Here's one I built with a friend.

IMG_8678_zpsmpz54zd4.jpg

Looking at back

eec5c948-7c62-4caa-8ecc-64a4a68776a3_zpsh9wcux6y.jpg

IMG_8681_zpsdtgbbm98.jpg

IMG_8682_zpszshyradk.jpg

IMG_8686_zpsdfbifno9.jpg

IMG_8683_zpsaqfe1rtv.jpg

IMG_8684_zpseoojgsab.jpg

IMG_8679_zps8szodtd1.jpg

IMG_8685_zpsfonopucd.jpg

I need to replace the open terminals with rings on the safety earth.

IMG_8687_zpsurfeb54z.jpg

IMG_8691_zpswg4iktvp.jpg

Of course, for best noise performance, don't stack the enclosures! Get the transformer ~1M from the RIAA boards.

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
I honestly have no idea. (Sorry)

If I kept track of what I spent on the hobby I'd probably want to quit... :D :D :D

The Transformers and cases are the expensive parts, as for the rest, I'd guess ~$75-100 more than whatever the PCB and parts from Tea-Bag cost.

It can be a toss up.

In my mind, finding a very good performing vintage TT at a good price is easier than finding a very good performing vintage riaa pre.

Lots of chipboard junk these days being sold for the cost of a really nice vintage turntable found locally.

I would build the Salas Pre, and then build a Lenco table down the line with a Jelco Arm or something like that.

Be sure to choose your cart before building the preamp though. The Salas Pre can be configured for either MM or MC but not both.

The traders section can be really useful for those looking to be budget conscious. Most stuff on there has been sparingly used and well handled, have had good experiences with the folks selling stuff here. If you are in a dense geographical location you might even be able to find something you can pick up locally.

Last edited:

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Hmmmmmmmmm.... A very good question.

Here's what I can tell you - the Salas is as good as any phono pre I've ever heard. Better than just about everything else out there. It will increase the quality of your phono system for the better, without question. :D

A good table is the trick - there's a lot of Meh out there in the market. Me-too decks with rubberband drive, light or medium mass plinths, platters that ring or are too dead, and although they are all decent to good, to get really good you need to either try to find something vintage and mod it, or get into some pretty exotic stuff that's eye-wateringly expensive. I'm a huge fan of the SL-1200 and it can turn into a deck that can stand alongside anything with just a few mods.

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
The Salas Pre can be configured for either MM or MC but not both.

Kinda sorta yes and no. Straight into the inputs? You are correct.

I'm of the belief that the best (only , cough... cough...) way to deal with a MC cartridge is a step-up transformer.

If you build the Salas in the configuration that's best for MM, you'll also find that it's also the best setup for a transformer. So build for a 5mV MM and it's perfect for MC and SUT. :D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.