Sica 8C2CP Horn Coaxial measurements in a small enclosure.

Sica 8C2CP coaxial horn measurements. Not the greatest measurements but I couldn't find any when I looked so decided to post what I have in case it helps anyone else. I put it in a box I had that already had an 8 inch woofer cutout so the woofer is probably the least trustworthy measurement. Use the Sica published specs instead. Also, I used a B&C DE111 compression driver not a full size CD. Unfortunately, you can't remove the horn. It's glued in. I'd like to remove it and replace it with a home HiFi friendly horn. My favorite part about this coaxial is that it allows you to use any 1 inch compression driver you want. I 3D printed a bracket to attach the B&C DE111. I'd like to be able to try the B&C DH350 (1kHz crossover) on it when it becomes available. If I can figure out how to remove the plastic horn I'll print a custom horn for it.

If anyone has advice on how to cut - or press? - the horn out please let me know. Thanks.

sica8.PNG

PXL_20240519_024700869.jpg PXL_20240519_001121145 (1).jpg

Main var1 Six-pack.png Main var1 XO-schema-1.png

0, 10, 20, 30 degree Sound Power/DI (Equalized at 20 degrees)

Main var1 Power+DI_0.png Main var1 Power+DI_10.png Main var1 Power+DI_20.png Main var1 Power+DI_30.png

Normalized polars, Hor/Ver

Main var1 Directivity (hor)_Norm.png Main var1 Directivity (ver)_Norm.png

Horn only, Woofer only

Horn only.png WooferOnly.png

REW measurements: Horn (w/ two 33 uf capacitors in parallel), Woofer (bad results due to my enclosure)

sica8c2cpDE111.jpg
sica8c2cpWoofer.jpg

REW Horn normalized at 10 degrees.

Sica8horn.jpg

REW Horn normalized at 20 degrees.

Sica8_20.jpg

Attachments

• Main var1 Directivity (hor).png
    Main var1 Directivity (hor).png
    37 KB · Views: 31
  • Main var1 Directivity (ver, pos front).png
    Main var1 Directivity (ver, pos front).png
    40.9 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
  • Thank You
Reactions: 2 users
Hi, have you tried to contact Sica if they could provide some details of the glue for example?
If you need to remove it by force, the holes on the horn flange allow to get good grip with custom tool, attach a long leverage handle and crank it of. Long enough handle and you'd get lots of torgue and it either shatters to pieces or the glue fails. 3D printed tool for good grip, or just long wood plank with some bolts through. But, there is great risk to rip the cone when it goes :D Perhaps use wood plank like propeller blade, attach middle to the tool/horn, so that the cone is better protected when it gives. Still there is chance to get debris / damage to voice coil so even more elaborate jig might be needed.

There might be some glue residue left on top of the pole piece which you'd need to remove and again danger to the voice coil. Then you must glue your own waveguide in which is another process to get centered and so on. So, quite lot of work. Have you tried to find a coax that has the horn attached with bolts?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Beyma makes coaxials with removable horns, however, you're stuck with their compression driver. I would like to use my own compression driver so I can print the internal ring down to the phase plug exit. Too bad Sica didn't make it removable.

In addition to pressing it out, I was also thinking about drilling it out with a hole saw blade on a drill press. But I'm not sure what I'd run into.